Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I got:
Infinity kappa 60.5cs components in the doors with a 4 channel mtx amp
I got a 2 thunder8500 12" svc in a modified sledge hammer box (to fit in the trunk) With an mtx 801D amp running at 2ohms

Problem:
The system seems like a strong midrange is missing. Im getting great midbass, tweeter, sub-bass. Is anyone else having this problem?

What do you guys think of adding 2 4" mid range drivers in the center console with a fiberglass box encasing them? Or should i get a 12" woofer, make bandpass filter with cut offs at 300Hz and 4kHz, and have that in the trunk...

·
Registered
22,090 Posts
Did I read this right? Do you want to put mids in the trunk? If you're lacking mids it's probably a phasing issues. I have a feeling it's really a midbass issue though. Try reversing the wires for the sub at the amp's output and let me know what happens.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think he wants to put mids in the center to make up for it...or one in the trunk?

I have to ask....how are the Infinitys wired to the 4 channel amp? Just using 2 channels?

Could it be phasing if he has good midbass (assuming that he is getting it from the front and not the back)?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay my problem is for the midrange drivers not midbass. The kappas are hooked into a crossover then hooked to the amp. I think its the sound stage thats messed up. Im going to try and set the xovers again and play with the gains on the amp. right now i have what you call a fader system according to mtx. except i have a seperate amp for the sub. http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/images/Diagram5ChannelFader_Lrg.gif I think im going to turn off the tweeters in the rear by setting the rear to lp and fronts to hp. Also about the mids and putting them in the trunk, I meant in the rear deck by cutting a hole. When im finished playing with the xovers ill let you guys know how it goes. :wink:

·
Registered
22,090 Posts
Here's something to start with. front AND rears high passed at 80Hz and the sub low passed at 80Hz. If you think it's midrange missing play something with a chorus on it and see how it sounds. Also, turn off any and all tone controls and set the balance and fader to the middle settings.
Get back to me with how it sounds, what music you used and how loud it was when you listened.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I changed the cut oiffs and its sounds much cleaner, I also faded the speakers to see what was going on with the sound and the rear right 6.5" woffer is bad. This may have been the problem. The sound stage did sound messed up but i couldnt find out what the problem was. I never found out until i sat in the back seat (which has been a while). the right one rattled but i thought that was just the sub doing the rattling to the car. The volume of the speaker is also very low. I need to replace this, or maybe the crossover is bad, ill test that too but something def needs to be replaced. Thanks again for all your help guys. :bow:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.