1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Confused
3,564 Posts
If anyone is going to this, I would be happy to be a tag along.

·
Super Moderator
4,561 Posts
Ugh. We are hosting a housewarming party for our new neighbors that afternoon. :banghead:

·
My intake has Emphysema
7,715 Posts
If I take the new GTI, I'm asking for karma to show its face. No thanks. Besides, if they log the VIN at the track or even my name, they'll automatically know I've tracked the car if I go in for warranty work and void it all together.

·
My intake has Emphysema
7,715 Posts
Seriously? Since when would a part be covered under any kind of warranty if it fails in what would be considered exessive driving conditions?

·
I break for old people
7,549 Posts
Vehicles: All convertibles must meet roll bar requirements. No trucks, SUVs, vans, etc. (Please contact us for exceptions to this rule.)
Damn it, I can't track my Econoline? :banghead:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Seriously? Since when would a part be covered under any kind of warranty if it fails in what would be considered exessive driving conditions?
Yes, I was serious. I don't think it's that cut and dry. I'm not really sure when a part would or wouldn't be covered. That's why I asked. Obviously if you trash your brake pads or other wear items it wouldn't be covered but I know warranty coverage can often be a murky issue. While they may give some people a hard time about modifications, they must be able to show that a mod caused the problem to deny warranty coverage. I was just wondering aloud if it is similar with tracking (note: not racing) a car.

Sorry, it's the law nerd in me. I'm just saying that unless VWoA has specific language in their warranty that prohibits you from driving on a track at all I doubt they'd be able to void it completely. If you blow up your motor on the track, that's one thing. But let's say you drive at the track day and the car is fine. Then 6 months later something fairly normal happens like coils failing or a clogged injector or something. I think they'd have to honor the warranty unless it specifically forbids driving on a track.

That doesn't mean that a dealership might not TRY and deny your warranty coverage. Obviously they'll look for any possible excuse to do that. Just curious as to whether or not they're justified in doing that legally. The phrase "excessive driving conditions" is pretty broad.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
If I take the new GTI, I'm asking for karma to show its face. No thanks. Besides, if they log the VIN at the track or even my name, they'll automatically know I've tracked the car if I go in for warranty work and void it all together.
BS, that's just an excuse to not hit the track. The only time you'd have to worry about anything like this is for your insurance god forbid you get into a wreck which would not be covered. But you can always purchase track insurance separately or just not crash -- incidents on track are rare, especially in the beginner groups where you have instructors. It's only in the higher level where certain drivers have a chip on their shoulder and things can get hairy.

You have more chance of getting busted for a tune than getting any warranty work denied because you took it on track. And for what it's worth, open track days are still considered educational (that's why they call it DE or driver education). You're confusing this with road racing which is not even close to being the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts