Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, a bit off top, since it's for another car, 2003 C320, not Passat. I thought I'd ask anyway. Ireally need new set of tires for that Merc. I have Potenza 950 on it now, Very disappointed. Very fast wear and rapid drop in performance with wear. I mean VERY rapid. Now, I am looking at few sources. Size is 225/50/16 on AMG wheels. I want to keep it there. I need dry/wet tires, with wet performance paramount due to expected long winter in SoCal. No interest in snow handling, I will use Passat for going to snow(wonder why, AWD vs. RWD). Wear should be fair but not VERY important, just last me for 20-25K and I'll be happy. Costco can offer Michelin® Pilot® Exalto® A/S at $150 a piece with $60 off on purchase of 4 (so, $540 before taxes after install). Tirerack has all the usuall suspects at normal prices, but has a sale on couple of interesting "max performance" tires:
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A-$79 plus (I assume) shipping and installation
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3-$89 plus the same and $40 gift card.

What would you choose? Anyone has dealt with Tirerack and how it all works? I am kinda negative to Potenza but I am aware that it's a very different model.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
id go f1 gs.
ultra high performance cant be beat!
onc you go UHP you can never go back, beware.
i dealt with tire rack with great sucess.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
i have been cars with the gs d3 and i run toyo t1r's(similar design)
so that is why i gave input on them.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
I will NEVER run another set of F1s as long as I live. The F1s on my wife's 05 GLI were the original F1s (the "good" German ones not the new ones made elsewhere) and the damned things were cupped to the point of needing replacement at 21K. Now at 32K the right rear won't hold air. These things suuuuuuuck in a major way. Also, the treadwear rating is a whopping 230 IIRC so you'll never get 20K out of them on a RWD car. Hell, the rears are worse off on the GLI and that's FWD!!!

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
I love Bridgestones. However, you have to find the right tire for you application. None of the "max. performance" tires will have tremendous wear.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of the RE050. Spend the extra money and move into an S-02 or the RE750 (personally, this is the one I'd probably choose for your car).

I'd also consider the Kuhmo SPT's (at $63 a tire they're good bang for the buck). The Yokohama AVS ES100's are decent too, although I don't care for the tread pattern.

Don't care for Goodyears at all.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
That's an awesome price on the Goodyear F1 GS-D3. Makes me want to upgrade my 15" rims to 16" so I can try them out. Car & Driver Magazine gave that tire a very good rating (their #1 pick) and it is good in wet conditions.

However, if you want to trade performance and hanlding, the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S just received top ratings in the last Consumer Reports magazine for high performance all season tires. I don't think you could go wrong with these. Just seem a bit pricey.

If it were me, I would try the Goodyears. The price is so good if the tires are lousy, get rid of them after 15K miles. No real loss. If you are only expecting 20-25K miles, sounds like you are not taking it easy on your tires.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it were me, I would try the Goodyears. The price is so good if the tires are lousy, get rid of them after 15K miles. No real loss. If you are only expecting 20-25K miles, sounds like you are not taking it easy on your tires.
This is what I did. F1s are on their way to local installer. $79 (after rebate in form of cash card) a piece plus install-good deal. If they last 3/4 of the Michelins I am still ahead.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are only expecting 20-25K miles, sounds like you are not taking it easy on your tires.
You got this part right. The funny thing is, my wife drives this car MOST of the time. She is one fast driver too, though, stability control engaged more times then it's not:)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will NEVER run another set of F1s as long as I live. The F1s on my wife's 05 GLI were the original F1s (the "good" German ones not the new ones made elsewhere) and the damned things were cupped to the point of needing replacement at 21K.
BTW, I always thought cupping was more a problem with bouncy struts rather then tires... BTW, Pilots HX lasted about 20K on the car, about the same rating.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
BTW, I always thought cupping was more a problem with bouncy struts rather then tires... BTW, Pilots HX lasted about 20K on the car, about the same rating.
it is, but my point was that a harder tire would have allowed us to catch the problem before it was irreversible or keep it from happening at all. either way, they're WAY too soft for a family car IMO. I can get grip easily as good or better for MUCH less.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it is, but my point was that a harder tire would have allowed us to catch the problem before it was irreversible or keep it from happening at all. either way, they're WAY too soft for a family car IMO. I can get grip easily as good or better for MUCH less.
From what I saw in various tests, it seems kinda hard to beat F1 in the rain. Better then PS2 in the rain? Who can do better? And $79 a piece seems like a very fair price for any summer performance tires in this size, let alone max performance in the ligue of PS, PS2 and Pole Positions. Wear sucks, I am sure. But this is what comes with the territory. You get into summer max performance land-no promises on how long tires might last. I cannot wait to get them here and really hope to break them in before rains come. Many people predict a long winter, which in our neck of the wood means a lotta rain with 50+ temps. Seems perfect for UHP summer rubber that seems to outdo anything in the wet. Soft-no s#it. Look at the category.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
From what I saw in various tests, it seems kinda hard to beat F1 in the rain. Better then PS2 in the rain? Who can do better? And $79 a piece seems like a very fair price for any summer performance tires in this size, let alone max performance in the ligue of PS, PS2 and Pole Positions. Wear sucks, I am sure. But this is what comes with the territory. You get into summer max performance land-no promises on how long tires might last. I cannot wait to get them here and really hope to break them in before rains come. Many people predict a long winter, which in our neck of the wood means a lotta rain with 50+ temps. Seems perfect for UHP summer rubber that seems to outdo anything in the wet. Soft-no s#it. Look at the category.
We're not driving on R-compounds here. We need STREET tires.I know what category we're looking at. it's all I've driven on for the last 5 or 6 years because of the size wheels I run. Yes, the F1s are good in the rain but my S-03s were and my Exclaims (yes Generals) are BOTH better in the rain, quieter, lasted longer, WORE EVENLY, and can even handle light snow.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Well, my SRT has F1 Supercars from the factory. It's a fair tire - wet traction got ugly around 10K - before I got a new SRT. I'd look elsewhere, but its damn near impossible to find a replacement in the stock size (275/40R20's)

Anyway, the Beetle currently has the S-03 Pole Positions that were on my Saab. Excellent tire; quiet, great turn-in and sick. They have about 10K on them and show little wear. I'd get them again in a hearbeat.

(I am a diehard Bridgestone fan - just ordered Blizzak Revo's for the Beetle, and have Dueler A/T Revo's on the Rangie - so I may be biased).

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, my SRT has F1 Supercars from the factory. It's a fair tire - wet traction got ugly around 10K - before I got a new SRT. I'd look elsewhere, but its damn near impossible to find a replacement in the stock size (275/40R20's)

Anyway, the Beetle currently has the S-03 Pole Positions that were on my Saab. Excellent tire; quiet, great turn-in and sick.
So, should I get Pole Positions 050A (with lower wear rating at the same price) Bridgsetones or stay with F1s? Or maybe get Generals Exclaim UHP at about $20 less for a set? I have an issue with the card and my order has not gone through yet.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
My buddy had RE050A's on his Jetta and got a solid 35K miles out of them (all high-speed highway). He was happy with them - though they cost a heck of a lot more than 79 bucks!
The life of the F1's, based on my car, would be 15K at most before they get ugly.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I did get Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 . Awesome deal. Price came to $105 shipped and installed after rebate. So far tires are incredible. Grip like glue, wet or dry. For the first time in this Merc C320 I get ESP (for lateral stabilization) kicking in way before traction control (that tends to cut power quite agressively).If they work as wel as they do now (or close to it) at 10-12K and last me for 15K-I am going to be a happy camper.

BTW, tire place that installed those was looking for a catch in the price. they couldn't believe it untill they checked Tirerack.com themself. Their first guess was that tires were old stock. Not! They are all 2006. Maybe our Tirerack rep will comment on the price in one particular size and why they are discounted so deeply. Only in W-rated 225/50-16 (Y-rated are almost double, as is regular price).

BTW, I did give credit to passatworld, even though benzworld rep recommended the same tire as first choice (his initial post was to another member with somewhat similar car but he replied to me too). I spend way too much time here and hoped to help offset that bandwidth I've used over the years;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1

These are a spectacular price on these smokin tires. They have been top rated by Car and Driver and Eurotuner Magazines. These are all brand new tires. The Tire Rack does NOT deal in used tires. I think Goodyear might stop making the W rated tire and only make in the Y. Get these while you can!

Rudy
1-800-428-8355
Ext 664
[email protected]

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
First choice: Michelin. Second Choice: Bridgestone.

No third choice in that list. I've never had a set of Goodyears that were worth the money I paid.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts