Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...

Today i played with the MFD and the steering wheel control unit... I've tried to plug in my GTi (Single-Din) control unit and it didn't work... After cople tricks, its working now 8)

The only problem is the price for that unit... $250 :( I can't afford it now!

I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR CAR!!! DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! I CAN'T GAUARANTEE THIS WILL WORK IN YOUR CAR!!! THIS WAS DONE ON 2002 PASSAT 1.8T WITH MFD VERSION D...

Here is the picture of both units... The one with B is the "working" unit... Note that unit was from my 2001 GTi with a factory Single-Din... The P/N for the Passat is (1J0 907 487A) and the P/N on my GTi that work in the PASSAT is (1J0 907 487B)...

1- Disconnect your car Battery.
2- Remove the fuse cover and the lower pannel of the driver side.
3- Remove the fues pannel by removing the two screws.

4- Once you remove the fuse cover, try to locate these connectors. The one with the red line is the Steering Wheel Control Unit (451). (Note that it's numbered 452 in my GTi)...

5- Remove the big relay (number 377) to give you more space to unscrew the two bolts.

6- Pull the lower part.

7-After you remove this, remove the upper part of that thing by sliding it from down... Becarful not to break the tab (yellow)!

6- In the back, you will see something like this... You have to run 3 wires to the MFD.
Pin#5 (Blue) to MFD pin#11 of the 20 pin connector (Remote for MFD).
Pin#12 (Brown) to MFD pin#4 (Black connector)... This is the switched 12V (Ignition).
Pin#15 (Green) to MFD pin#6 (Black connector)... This is the Illumination wire (used to light the steering wheel buttons)...

Also, today i add the Aux input for the iPod...

Also, i beak my Laptop! :cry:

Enjoy 8)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Great install on the AUX jack for the 6th button. Very sleeeeeek. I hope to do something similar come summer when I might have some money :D

Looks fab. Good job.

·
Registered
993 Posts
looks sweet!!
I would love a navi unit but $$ and the fact I've just got my system updated (clarion and sirius stuff)
What did you use for the ipod plug? I want to hook up a line into my clarion hu (its got an aux input) for my mindisc player. Is it just a basic cable??

·
Registered
84 Posts
i just checked the price from VW canada... $348 CDN!!

what types of VW's have this unit in it... so i can look in a scrapyard for this thing....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Very cool.
Bummer about the notebook. Broken hinges are the reason I switched from Toshiba to Dell.

I just replaced both hinges on my wife's Satellite Pro 4260. $60.00 for parts and an hour of unscrewing the notebook. pita indeed.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It works!

Just wanted to chime in a let everyone know that this technique works!

My 2005 B5.5 originally came with a Double Din Monsoon radio (which uses CAN-BUS to receive the remote control, GALA, illumination and ignition signals.) As such, I should have used a 'G' Navi with a TMC box to get the steering wheel remote control buttons to work.

Unfortunately, I ended up with a 'D' Navi. So, I connected the 3 additional wires to the Relay 451 socket (ignition, illumination, navi-remote), and replaced the 451 with an older style 452.

Everything worked immediately -- horn, cruise, track change, volume control, wheel illumination... Woohoo!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
10 Participants
Phiow
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing