Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to start off by saying i'm new to the whole forum thing and i wanted to make sure i was in the right place, recently i purchased a 05 passat with a standard monsoon radio, but i've allways liked the MFD navigation systems and was wondering how hard and how pricy it would be to possibly do a swap
, all help or comments would be very much appreciated.
Vehicle Car Steering part Automotive design Steering wheel

·
Registered
851 Posts
Let me be the first to point out that you would be purchasing hardware that is:
-- rare
-- nearly 20 years old
-- hasn't received map updates in quite a few years now.

I would respectfully suggest a decent aftermarket head unit, that has Android Auto and/or Apple CarPlay support (depending on your chosen phone platform.)
My wife is quite happy with the Pioneer HU that I put in her MkV Jetta. For her, being able to run Spotify and nav on the radio (and, not needing to touch the phone to do so) is quite nice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me be the first to point out that you would be purchasing hardware that is:
-- rare
-- nearly 20 years old
-- hasn't received map updates in quite a few years now.

I would respectfully suggest a decent aftermarket head unit, that has Android Auto and/or Apple CarPlay support (depending on your chosen phone platform.)
My wife is quite happy with the Pioneer HU that I put in her MkV Jetta. For her, being able to run Spotify and nav on the radio (and, not needing to touch the phone to do so) is quite nice.
i apreciate the reply but i just love the oem look that these radios have.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I can understand that. But, for example, I go look on eBay for your desired head unit, and..... nothing.
The nice thing about a B5.5 is that it's a standard double-DIN opening - an aftermarket DD HU JustFits in the hole.

So, I would suggest doing a 'what fits my car' at, say, Crutchfield.com ,picking some options, and seeing if there's anything that you like.
I'll also say that an aftermarket HU also 'wakes up' the stock system quite well (assuming that all of the speakers are still in working order.)
Plus, things like HD Radio, USB input... lots of things that the old MFD Nav just didn't have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can understand that. But, for example, I go look on eBay for your desired head unit, and..... nothing.
The nice thing about a B5.5 is that it's a standard double-DIN opening - an aftermarket DD HU JustFits in the hole.

So, I would suggest doing a 'what fits my car' at, say, Crutchfield.com ,picking some options, and seeing if there's anything that you like.
I'll also say that an aftermarket HU also 'wakes up' the stock system quite well (assuming that all of the speakers are still in working order.)
Plus, things like HD Radio, USB input... lots of things that the old MFD Nav just didn't have.
[/QUOTE

do you think it would be possible if all of the correct hardware was found ? even in 2022 ??

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,309 Posts
If you find an MFD, it will likely not be from the US. It was a very rare option.

Yes, you just need a harness, antenna adapter, and steering wheel interface to hook up a new aftermarket radio.

My recommendation:
Axxess XSVI-9003-NAV Interface Harness
Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter
Metra 40-EU55 Antenna adapter

Then, whatever double-DIN radio you want. The steering wheel control above covers most major manufacturers (Pioneer, Sony, Alpine, Kenwood, etc.)

When Cuppie says it really wakes it up, he means it. At LEAST a 100% improvement in sound quality and better tone adjustment. Even with it being a Monsoon system.

Reactions: cuppie

·
Registered
2001.5 B5.5 1.8T stick Sold :-((
5,635 Posts
MFD was NOT available for the US market on a B5.5. I had mine imported and working great for the past 15 or so years. I got the modified Touareg maps to go with it. Sold everything with my wagon but I can probably find a used MFD for you if you decide you must have it...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MFD was NOT available for the US market on a B5.5. I had mine imported and working great for the past 15 or so years. I got the modified Touareg maps to go with it. Sold everything with my wagon but I can probably find a used MFD for you if you decide you must have it...
i would love that man, also any more information about installation, or what all i would need, would help a ton, thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts