Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been debating about installing a version G MFD for quite a while now. I have read posts from people who seem to be satisfied with theirs as well as posts from those who are unsatisfied.

Is it worth it? Should I do it? How do you like yours? Any gotchas to know first? Where did you get yours and how much was it? Any inputs to help sway my decision one way or the other?

Thanks guys.

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
Is it worth it? Very subjective!

Ask yourself what you are looking for.
If you want to be unique, part of rare view in the USA with it, and love the OEM look than it is?

If you want a high end, super complex, Navi with Big monitor, than it isn't for you.

The price of the Euro has gone up, so you can get a aftermarket Navi that does more with a bigger monitor for at the same price. It is all what you want.

I personally like mine, but wish it did more at the same time.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
For the price and what it does for you, I would have to say that the only reason to buy it is to have a good looking stock device. It looks great and fits the car perfectly, so if that is what you're looking for, go for it!

But if you don't mind having an aftermarket look I would have to recommend buying a head unit with built in DVD player, and adding a navigation unit to it. The screens are usually much larger, sometimes even touchscreen (which is great for entering addresses of your destination) and I would have to assume of much better quality.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I look forward to the day that VW gets its act together, catches up with the many other car makers, and offers AV systems such as the one Alric posted above. I would love to get one just like his. You could probably make the buttons illuminate red and instead of blue. This would make it look very close to stock.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I don't think any one offers a set up like Alrics. His is home grown. But you're right VW is very behind the times on theirs.

Like Octick said though if you want OEM, it's great. If you don't need anything whiz bang, not watching movies, or any of that extra stuff, it's great.

I love mine, it does what I want, tells me how to get places. I don't watch movies, don't need to know where the nearest Chinese joint is, don't need it to call that chinese joint or anything else. I'd love it if it did, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Another thing to consider, where you live and drive. I didn't. I loaded my car up with a 2k roughly AV setup and in less than 4 months it was stolen. OEM equipment isn't as attractive a theft target.

Hopefully this helps you decide.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as the VW MFD goes, I believe www.evolutionsports.com sells the CD-ROMs required to operate it Paradigm. I would imagine that Alric's system, as sophisticated as it is, is probably DVD-ROM based. Various aftermarket systems have their own DVDs available from different sources. I'm not sure where Alric got/gets his.

I don't care much about watching movies or calling places as well, but at the same time, I'm not sure I want to pay $2,000+ for something that can't do this.

Perhaps I will wait to see if the next generation Passat has an MFD with DVD-ROM technology. If so, and it can be installed on my 2003 model, then perhaps I will do this.

Additionally, a member called chrisyoon is starting a group buy querey to see how many people would be insterested in a set-up just like Alric's. It sounds like we can get a set-up just like Alric's for less than $2,000. I hope the group buy goes through.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Alric probably has all the maps stored on the hard drive of the car PC, I bet they originally came on CD, but now that they are loaded onto the hard drive he doesn't need the cds anymore.

How does the MFD work for English speaking people?

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
There are a lot of legit and illegit sources of MFD discs :D That's all I'll say on that topic.

No hacking required for the 2003s. 2004 I believe needs some minor hack before they're burnt from one CD to the next not sure. You don't get much from the new CDs though so I wouldn't bother.

MFD speaks english. with a fancy british-type accent.

I can't imagine it costs 2k??? Not sure what the euro is at but wow. Ask airwalk. Maybe bayernpassat will do another group buy he got a sweet deal.

Mine was only $1100 all parts.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Alric- Have you made a thread documenting your system? I am very interested in it.

I assume MediaCar is just a shell replacing Explorer.exe? But you can still get to Windows if you need to? What TV Tuner do you use, and what type of antenna?
What resolution is the screen running? How hard was the setup?

I NEED TO KNOW THIS, I AM IN LOVE! :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.