Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read jwil's excellent MFD install guide and I am now installing it myself.

I have a question I didn't find a clear answer for in the guide.

The 26 pin cam-lock plug has two cables, one at position 5 and one at position 17. Pin 5 is for the speed sensor, but what is the one at 17 for, and where will it be connected?

The installing instruction I got with it, says that it should be connected to reverse gear light. Is this correct (why would the MFD be connected to the reverse-light?)? If it is correct, where do I find this cable and what colour does it have?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
It connects to nothing. It's for reverse sense but no one know how it works AFAIK.

I ran mine down to the wire bundle, looped it and taped off the live end. I think that's what most do. Just run it somewhere out of the way.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Yup. I've never been able to figure out what to connect it to, and honestly the unit works fine without it so I haven't been motivated to deal with it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers!

It seems that I now have gathered all the information I needed. I will install it at first opportunity... (next weekend maybe)

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's almost useless... It has nothing to do while driving... Only when backing up...

When you back-up, the MFD "think" that you are moving because GALA is working... According to the GPS readings, the MFD will "think" that you turned 180degree and then it will retate the arrow to the other side (Note that you need to back-up for a while before you actually see the arrow changes) :crazy: ... If you have the reverse wire connected, you will see the arrow is backing-up with you...

You can try it by suppling 12V to this pin and drive at low speeds...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Maybe its used to switch the MFD to backing-camera. I've seen this in practise and works great. As soon as you put the car in Reverse the MFD switches to the camera located high up in the rear window.

mk

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
It serves two purposes. First, it lets the MFD know if you're driving forward or backward so that the arrow will face the correct direction. Second, and this is the big one, when you back up the software won't try to reroute you like it will if it thinks you turned around.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
quality_sound said:
Second, and this is the big one, when you back up the software won't try to reroute you like it will if it thinks you turned around.
This make sence to me... But is the MFD that acurrate to recalculate just after couple feets back?

BTY, i tried a new place for the GPS antenna... I got a FULL signal in this location (behind the cluster)...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
quality_sound
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing