Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to find a metal belly pan. With winter here (the first snow of the season is currently falling outside), I thought I would finally look into getting one :crazy: .
Thanks

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
i wish i had invested in one from the moment I lowered my ride. It would have paid off. I'm on my third belly pan now. seems like i lose one every winter now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
anybody get increases heat from thses? they aren't vented like the OEM one. a guy with an R32 ended up cutting holes in his because of the heat.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Try going the W8 belly pan route. If the price for em is like it was a year ago they're under $100 and stronger than the one that comes stock on the 1.8 and V6.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
can anyone explain the difference between the oem one and the metal one, and whats the point of paying 300$ for the part that makes no difference or even makes it worse???/

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
the oem one has vents and is plastic and will not take too much punishment before giving way, the metal one will protect your under carriage alot more but due to no vents will not allow alot of heat release. and paying 300 dollars is better than having a rock go through your oil pan or your transmission

·
Registered
517 Posts
can anyone explain the difference between the oem one and the metal one, and whats the point of paying 300$ for the part that makes no difference or even makes it worse???/
im not lowered, but my belly pan is breaking at some parts... for you lowered folks, i would imagine this thing gets torn to shred... its made of plastic

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm confused as to why these things cost so much. I also have an SUV that I take off-road and have full skid plates from front to rear (radiator, engine, transfer case, and gas tank) made of powdercoated 1/8" steel and only paid around $450 for everything shipped. Has anybody ever tried to use the stock piece as a template to make their own or even reinforce the plastic one?

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'm confused as to why these things cost so much. I also have an SUV that I take off-road and have full skid plates from front to rear (radiator, engine, transfer case, and gas tank) made of powdercoated 1/8" steel and only paid around $450 for everything shipped. Has anybody ever tried to use the stock piece as a template to make their own or even reinforce the plastic one?
I am going to try to fabricate one using the plastic one as template and the ideeas of the links posted in post#2.we'll see!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I 2nd the diesel geek pan. Install was really easy and the pan itself seem like it could withstand some damage. I once punched a hole through my oil pan in a Saab.....not good!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts