Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, there's are a lot of Black Magic B5s out there that put my stock example in its place (For an awesome example, see http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=82422&highlight=&sid=7c4a6dbfa5420e25db08daf76ab89432) but I did the first full detail of my '01 4mo and thought I'd post some results.

I've had the car since October. The paint was in pretty good shape, except for a lot of spider webbing, a few scratches and some chips. I opted to fully detail the car first, then later formulate a plan of attack for the chips and scrathes that still remained. For the paint, I went for the full Menzerna treatment (as recomended by www.properautocare.com) using a PC 7424 for all steps. My primary goal was to get rid the spider webs and the Intensive Polish removed them easily. As you can see below, some deeper scratches were successfully diminished and others less so. When I do it again, I will be more agressive with the Intensive Polish. This was my first time with the PC and this polish, so I was a bit hesitant. Finally, I decided to forgo traditional wax and use the Menzerna FMJ. This was partially a result of wanting to try something new and partially a result of wanting longer lasting sealant. I found the shine to be quite good and the application was very easy ( I put on two coats). We'll see how long it lasts. All products were purchased from www.properautocare.com. I'd recommend them without hesitation.

Here's the rundown:
Interior:
Blackfire Interior Cleaner on all surfaces
Blackfire Interior Protectant on all surefaces but Leather
Lexol Leather Conditioner for Leather
Eimann Fabrik Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner for tough spots.

Exterior:
Paint:
Blackfire Clay and Lubricant
Menzerna Intensive Polish
Menzerna Final Polish
Menzerna Finishing Glaze
Menzerna FMJ Sealant

All exterior plastic trim:
Black Again

Here's some pics. I took the first photo yesterday after finishing the job. I was planning to take some more photos today, but the clouds are out so the pics aren't the most vibrant. Note how great a job the Black Again did on the trim. I put it on everything black and plastic (including the front and rear lower valances) and am very happy about how well the trim blends with the Black Magic paint.

Here are the Menzerna products used.

A successfully removed scratch before:

and after:

..and a less successful attempt at removing a deeper scratch before:

and after

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
WOW, although the second scratch didnt come out as good as the first, it still looks smokin!!

I got my car polished and cleaned before I went to the ND show, and man oh man, almost 90% of all swirl marks and scratchs were OUT!!

I was very pleased!

Rich :wink:

PS What are you next mods?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
i just got mine buffed professionnaly, seems to give similar results. :bow:

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
I<3myW8, i don't agree with you, when a silver is clayed and shined :bow: , i know it for a fact :wink: , good luck with yours :thumbup: .

Cerev1, great job on the black magic :thumbup:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
slimebucket said:
WOW, although the second scratch didnt come out as good as the first, it still looks smokin!!

I got my car polished and cleaned before I went to the ND show, and man oh man, almost 90% of all swirl marks and scratchs were OUT!!

I was very pleased!

Rich :wink:

PS What are you next mods?

Rich,
The first scratch is still visible if you look hard, but I was pretty impressed with how much it was diminished by the Intensive Polish. I think a little more aggressive polish on the second scratch would have done the trick, although a true rotary machine might be needed (Some scratches will need painting for sure).

As for mods, I think they will occur in this order:
1. A8 brakes in front. (That 4mo is heavy!)
2. Lightened pulleys and perhaps an electric fan at the front of the V6.

I'd like to lower it but, as a commuter car for Pittsburgh, I need all of the height I can get in the winter. As far as the exterior, I won't do much. Call me crazy, but I kind of like the stock look. I think those orange stripes on the corners are kind of "nerdy cool". :D Besides, most of my mod money goes toward my bikes. At $800 or so for a new rear shock I need to save all I can! :shock:
Tony

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.