Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a bad idea to have my brake pads and rotors replaced by Meineke for much less than teh $400 I ahve been quoted at the cheapest dealer I could find.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Tbomb, do you have a freind that is half way handy with a wrench, that can help you change your brakes? It could save you a ton of money.Rear brake pad replacement is not that difficult on the :b5: . The only problem that you could encounter is resessing the caliper piston back into the bore. Have a friend hold down on the piston with some large channel locks while you twist it clockwise until it is seated into the bore 8)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, my friends and I are pretty useless when it comes to car repairs. Changing my tires is about where I draw the line and I would love to learn, but not on something like my brakes.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
How much would they charge you if you suppied them with the brake parts yourself and they just did the install? Ask them what their shop rate is and then find out how long it would take them. I can't imagine it would take a reputable shop any longer than about an hour, hour and a half max. My guess is their rate is probably between $65 - $85 hour so that could save you some real coin, especially if all you need replaced is the pads and not the rotors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
The Swami
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing