Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I went to my local Autozone to get somw Wiper fluid, and window cleaner. As I was getting the window cleaner I noticed they had Meguiar's ultimate black. Idecided to get it because my plastic trim needs to be restored. After I tried it I thought I should compare this stuff to common products people that clean their cars have.

The photos shown were taken atleast 24 hours from the application of the products I have used. Also what ever streaks or scratches you see in the photos are actually snow flakes.

Since I forgot to take a picture of the panels I used with before and after pics, I took a pic of a part I didn't use anything on yet that was as dull as the other plastic trim pieces. The products I used were, Meguiar's hot foam tire spray, 3m paste wax, and Meguiar's ultimate black plastic restorer.

As you can see the plastic trim is very dull and no longer black, the plastic in person and as seen in the photo appears to almost be gray instead of black.

The first product I used and have always used before I tried the ultimate black was Meguiar's hot tire foam.

The plastic trim in this photo was applied with meguars ultimate black. In appearance the plastic trim has a clean look, dry to the touch feel and make the plastic appear like it was when the car was new. The Meguiars ultimate black has a cream color and applies easily and didn't dry out as it was being applied.

The second product I used was the 3m paste wax. Although I didn't take an after picture of it, it was not worth taking because within hours the plastic started to appear as it did before the wax was applied. Within 24 hours the plastic trim looked like nothing was even done to it. It was faded asit was before the wax was applied. The wax was a bit tricky to apply and took longer than the tire foam and the ultimate black. Although this wax is great on clear coat and paint it's not great on plastic.

The third and finall product I used was Meguiar's hot tire foam

It may be a bit harded to see in the photo than it is in person by using the Meguiar's hot foam made the plastic appear and feel greasy. The tire foam applies just like any other tire foam. The foam does make the plastic look black again but it also gives the plastic a greasy look and feel. It may also attract dirt easyer than the wax I used and the ultimate black. the tire foam also washes off after it rain or when you wash your car, this makes look inconsistant after the rain or wash. Over time the tire foam will be more expensive than using ultimate black.

My final thought and ranking on the products I used are
1) Meguiar's ultimate black
2) Meguiar's hot foam
3) 3m paste wax

Meguiars ultimate black was my favorite of the three because it applies easily and dosn't leave any residue when it's done being applied and it's dry to the touch. This stuff makes look plastic look new and gives the car a clean look

The hot foam is great if your in a pinch, don't have the time or in a hurry to a car meet. Although stated in the review the foam leaves a greasy look and feel it is great in a situation where you don't have time to use the ultimate black.

The 3m was my least favorite for this application because it wore off quickly and was hard to apply on the plastic trim.

I hope you all found this review helpfull and that you all enjoyed it.

Also please feel free to comment, voice your opinion, or ask any questions you may have.
Also for your enjoyment here is a picture of my car after I washed and waxed it. Also in this picture I didn't use any plastic restorers yet because the plastic was still slightly wet.

·
Registered
831 Posts

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Let us know how it holds up after a few washes

·
Registered
971 Posts
I tried fixing your pics but couldn't. Photobucket sucks. I use Mothers Back to Black a couple times a year on the plastic trim. In between I use 303 Aerospace protectant. The Mothers stuff you have to apply and then buff off but it does work well.

Not sure why you would try to wax the plastic. Thats a big no no and can be a pita to get the wax residue off. So much so that I usually tape off the plastic when I wax the car.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried the wax a couple mounths ago and with the amount or rain and number of times I washed it, the wax came off. Also an update on the review, since I posted it my car went through rain and snow, mostly rain but it wason and off between the two. Anyway the tire foam was completly washed off and the ultimate black is still as black as when I applied it. Since the Ultimate black went through all of that abuse, considering it was applied at the trim on the rear which was hit by all the water while driving it didn't fade considering it was heavy rain. This stuff is great. Anyone with fading trim shouldget this. I only say this because it really works and I havn't tried the Mothers yet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tried it once, honestly it looks good, not that dust magnet, but won't last long just a couple of wash and its gone.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice results, I have since switched to chemical guys tire and trim gel for my plastic trim pieces. No greasy feel what so ever

1 - 12 of 12 Posts