Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, you are sitting here thinking "What the hell is he talking about".

Tonight, I went to feed my daughter some "Vienna Saugage" baby food that my wife buys her. She likes it, and we figure if it will get her to eat, it's OK.

However, I look in the cabinet and see that we have regular vienna sausages as oppose to the Gerber stuff. She says she bought them because they looked the same, but were much cheaper. We later found they taste the same as well, much to our daughter's delight.

Anyhow, I am reading the label and it said "mechanically seperated chicken" on it.

I could not help but to think "What the hell is that?" I have never really given much thought to how one seperates a chicken, let alone with a machine (other than a knife). Yes, I know, please spare me the "do you know where your meat comes from?" routine.

I know we de-construct all sorts of things with machines, but just the way the lable read caught me off guard.

My first images of a chicken seperator were goofy ones.

It does however, look like this:

I just have never thought of ways to seperate chickens from their pieces parts. Or, as this article talks about, feathers, which I found out about in Scientific American.

Apparently, there is a huge problem in this country about getting rid of chicken feathers, someone came up with the idea to use them in cars...

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=0009340D-3D65-1C75-9B81809EC588EF21

Ok, I am done rambling for now.

Mark

·
Registered
893 Posts
Slim Jim's have mechanically seperated chicken. Never stopped me from eating 'em :)

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Ahh, the magic fingers. magic Fingers is the machine that removes the feathers from chickens.

Here's what my friend who investigated Chicken slaughter houses advised me:

ALWAYS BUY WHOLE CHICKENS!

and don't even get me started on meat grinders.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Thats really cool though, how they use chicken feathers as fibers. I never thought of where the feathers go, except in down sheets, but thats not chicken. I think thats goose or some other soft animal, not chichen

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
haha we went through the same thing when shopping for hot dogs.....my roommate wouldn't let me buy the foster farms stuff because it said mechanically separated meat.......so we looked all over and finally found the hebrew national ones.......roommate goes, and they're blessed! i swear! We always have interesting run ins at the supermarket.....college towns i tell you :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
9 Participants
FastLane
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing