Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my B5.5 for its *first* oil change today. Brought it to my Indy. After a little while they come out and tell me they can't get the filter off the car. The wrench is on it, 2 mechanics and the owner tried it won't budge. If they turn any harder they feel it will break off and have to chisel it out.

They said that I should call my dealer as a warranty problem as I should be able to remove it myself and it was either put on to tight when installed or some other problem

What do people think? Should VW have to replace my filter as it is a manufacturng problem or should Ihave to pay the dealer for a change?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Should VW have to replace my filter as it is a manufacturng problem or should Ihave to pay the dealer for a change?
Have the dealer deal with it if it is the first oil change since you bought the car.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
This is common with factory torqued oil filter, they tend to overdo it a bit. What type of wrench did your mechanic use ? It's if a strap type, then forget it. Try the cap type that is specific to fit the filter top. Otherwise, tell them to stick a screw drive in and turn it out, kinda messy but works.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Are they turning it the right way?! Stick a long screwdriver through the filter and turn if all else fails. Off it comes. Maybe the guy in change of installing oil filters was have some marital problems in Germany when they built your car and instead of wringing his wife's neck he did it to your filter. Just a thought. :wink:

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Guyute said:
I took my B5.5 for its *first* oil change today. Brought it to my Indy. After a little while they come out and tell me they can't get the filter off the car. The wrench is on it, 2 mechanics and the owner tried it won't budge. If they turn any harder they feel it will break off and have to chisel it out.
Exactly why I had my first oil change done at the dealership. I've been reading about this problem for two plus years and didn't want to face it myself. I figure Hans and Franz work at the Emden plant puttin' oil filters on the 1.8T's.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I had the same damn problem. And of the three cap type filter wrenches I own, none of them fit correctly. I ended up using the strap type but it kept spin on the damn filter. I had to take a nail and hamer it thru the strap and pull it out leaving "teeth" formed by the punctured metal that would grab the filter and even then it was a huge pain in the ass. You could also drill screws thru the strap and into the filter. If all else fails, give it the old "screw driver thru the filter" method (as mentioned above). or just go out and buy a cap filter wrench thats the right size. or let the dealer handle it. You'll probably end up paying for the oil change on that last one though.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Thats just the reason I always have the dealer do the first oil change on any new car I buy. I have run into that on a couple different Chevs too and a 4.0 Ranger. Since then I let them suffer through the first one.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Same prob. I couldn't get mine off, and took it to the dealer. They got it off, but the next change was a bear too. If you take it, make sure they only hand tighten it.

I saw that crescent wrench (yep the original adjustible wrench) makes a pretty cool looking one for oil filters. I bet that would work as well.

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
Not much confidence in those mechanics. I am sure they would have had to deal
with something like this several time before.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It doesn't sound like you're a DIYer, but if you have a willingness to tackle the job yourself, here are a few suggestions.

I use a filter wrench that's similar to a strap wrench, except it uses a chain (similar to a bicycle chain) instead of a strap. I tried the socket/cap type and that didn't work out at all. The chain-type filter wrench will turn it right off. They sell them at auto zone.

Your other alternative is to use a 22" pipe wrench. I've had to use one in the past. If you use this, grip the filter closer to the base where its heavier/stronger and built up around the threads as opposed to the outer portion of the filter. You don't want to twist the filter can.

Try one of these methods and you should get it off with no problem.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I experienced this same problem with the oil filter being over tightened, I tried the screwdriver method and it was so tight that the screw driver tore through the oil filter as I was using it to twist the filter off. Eventually it did loosen to where I could take it off and I will never let the dealer change the oill filter again.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
I've done a first filter change on 3 Passat 1.8T's and the only way I could get the filters off was with a Craftsman rubber strap wrench. Learned this on the first one, but tried the second one with an end cap wrench anyway. The thing gets great grip and you can get it fairly close to the mounting end of filter to improve torque.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Little update
First should have said that the mechanic told me to have the dealer do this one as we was going to have to start charging me for time to work on it and he thought that was assine to have to do that for something you should be able to do yourself. He also didn't charge me for the time to get the belly pan off and the time they spent fighting it.

I call the dealership. They told me that this is a common problem and that when they remove the factory installed filter it is usually mangled by the time they get it off. Some time they do snap and have to take the rest out. He said that they usually attach a set of channel locks and apply counter pressure at the base and have to really muscle it.

Would love to be a DIYer, but I don't have a flat place to work. I get parts at cost from NAPA through a family member so once I find a place to work I definately want to start doing it on my own.

·
Registered
869 Posts
In my experience changing my Passat's oil...

When I replace the oil filter, I only hand tighten it. And that isn't very tight at all. And it never fails, every single time I go to remove it at the next oil change, the filter is a bitch to remove. I don't know if it's because the engine is still warm or what, but I always need a good oil filter wrench and a lot of torque to get that thing off. That's just how this thing is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts