Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, trying to learn. I did some reading and think I understand how they work, and how to hook them up

"Is it a bleed?
A bleed + spring (boostvalve, Dawes)?
A pressure relief valve?
A pressure regulator valve?

That said, here's some installation info for bleed+spring: http://www.boostvalve.com/1.8.html"

Got the above from a post by Rusty.

Which one is best?

Also I plan to up grade to a bigger turbo, if I set it up to limit to 16 Psi, can I leave at the same setting when I go BT and it will limit it to 16 psi still ?

Any suggestion on a price, brand and were to buy would be great.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
...Which one is best?
Forget about a pure bleed. If all you are doing is limiting boost spikes or max boost, then a bleed+spring is best. IMO the Dawes is the best unit out there, but the Boostvalve is much easier to adjust. If you are trying to tailor your own boost curve, then a pressure reg + relief combo is best.
Also I plan to up grade to a bigger turbo, if I set it up to limit to 16 Psi, can I leave at the same setting when I go BT and it will limit it to 16 psi still ?
You should be able to leave it at the same setting. But 16 psi from a BT is a LOT more MAF than 16 psi from a teeny turbo.
Any suggestion on a price, brand and were to buy would be great.
Dawes and Boostvalve are around $50, get them straight from their websites.

Dawes: www.3barracing.com (was www.dawesdevices.com)

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the info I was looking for. Thanks rusty.

I want to limit my boost on my Ko3 cause every once an a while I hit 20 psi and the car goes limp.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,312 Posts
I picked up the $50 from boostvalve.com (cause my APR 93 was making me spike at 21) and I'm comfortably boosting at a constant 16

1 - 6 of 6 Posts