Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Division Manager where I work has an RX-8. He recently put it on corner scales - no driver in car.

740 lbs. each corner. 8)

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, duh. Just thought it pretty impressive that they got it to the pound, and especially that the diagonal was also to the pound. How many cars do you know like this?

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Rusty said:
Well, duh. Just thought it pretty impressive that they got it to the pound, and especially that the diagonal was also to the pound. How many cars do you know like this?
That's pretty impressive considering it's not a rear mount engine.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Having weight evenly distributed at the corners may or may not be ideal depending on the car. It has more to due with the car's center of gravity (cg). For example, some cars have more weight at the rear which, in turn, moves the cg rearward. Yet, they are still perfectly balanced. In addition, for those that really care, if you really want the car corner balanced correctly, you do it with the driver in the car (or equivalent weight in the driver's seat). If not, the car is not truly balanced once the driver gets in.

The point of corner balancing is to make the car handle the same when turning left and right. Thus, maximizing tire contact area on all four corners and providing more grip all around.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
J-RAD said:
...In addition, for those that really care, if you really want the car corner balanced correctly, you do it with the driver in the car (or equivalent weight in the driver's seat). If not, the car is not truly balanced once the driver gets in...
Yup, but you can't corner-balance unless you have adjustable suspension, and they sure can't do it on a production line. I think the RX-8 is pretty impressive (in this regard, anyway) for a production car.

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
Seems close which is probably more than can be said for alot of vehicles. How could they include driver weight on a production vehicle, when people come in all different shapes and sizes. If only they would have put that kind of cleanlyness in the physical appearance.(imo modified they look awesome,but stock :thumbdow:

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Rusty said:
What are you arguing about, and why?
I'm not arguing, just stating. You like the RX-8 and that's OK but I'm just not sure as to what your point was with the weight. The fact that a car's weight is evenly distributed between it's four tires is impressive to you? OK then. The RX-8 certainly is a well balanced car and given it's cg maybe it should be equal at each corner but, if so, it doesn't seem like it should be that surprising.

However, it seemed as though you were trying to imply something else with your orginal post, this was confirmed by your subsequent posts. In your second post you asked how many cars weighed equally at all four corners, seeming to imply that this fact alone has something to do with a car's balance and handling. The general statement that someone put a car on a scale and it weighed the same at each corner is rather meaningless and really says nothing about how a car is balanced or will handle. Most cars don't and shouldn't weigh the same at each corner due to their cg but that doesn't mean they're necessarily unbalanced. In the case of the RX-8, if the cg was forward of center (which it's not) having equal weight at the corners might not be impressive at all because the car could be unbalanced. My point was to make that distinction understood, that's all.

:beer:

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
scotty_passat said:
That link illustrates my point exactly...notice in the examples how the weights differ depending on the cars cg, yet they the car is still balanced. Very rarely in the real world will a car have even weight on all four corners (they are generally just brought within a tolerance)...nor should they necessarily.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
J-RAD said:
Very rarely in the real world will a car have even weight on all four corners (they are generally just brought within a tolerance).
VOILA! (or is it viola? - no, that's a musical instrument...) You said it. Sorry I couldn't seem to state it clearly. THAT'S why I'm impressed. If it doesn't impress you, then that's OK. 8)

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
What are the odds that the car had just the right amounts of fuel, coolant, washer fluid, trash, etc to make that measurement perfect? It's impressive because of the coincidence, but not for any performance value.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts