Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For starters, I confess to being the oddball here. I like cars just as they come from the factory and the lack of love I get for my ride certainly reflects that sentiment. When I returned to a Passat last fall after trying in vain to fulfill a delusional vision of water-cooled New Beetles and 2012+ Beetles making all the air-cooled people forget about the Type 1, I knew my Plain Jane 2005 GL Passat with auto and steelies with plastic hubcaps would stand about as much chance of getting a trophy as Britney Spears getting elected President, and I'm cool with that. I really am. After all, the only reason my New Beetles got the occasional award at a few scattered VW shows is because it was the cleanest of perhaps 3 that would bother to enter in the first place. :p

But......Here's what I just don't get:

My local VW club just had their show this past weekend. We only had about 35 cars registered, and of those, the Top 25 got awards, so the odds of me being coming home with something were over 70%. I didn't make it. To be objective, the club and showgoers were indeed about 90% air-cooled, but what I fail to fathom is how some ratty-looking rust-buckets that look like they were pulled out of a swamp made the cut while my so-clean-you-could-eat-off-of Passat without so much as as speck of rust didn't! I could simply claim air-cooled bias, but that barely scratches the surface of the overall dilemma someone like me faces. For one thing, the other water-cooleds made it. One deservedly so, a 1985 Cabriolet that looked brand new, but also a slammed Jetta from the Reagan era with a spray-can paint job......:crazy:

The problem I face being a late-model total stock guy is twofold: I'm not a 22-year-old tuner, so I don't do water-cooled only shows. I went to one exactly once after being well into my 50s and never felt so out-of-place in my life. This leaves me with shows that are predominantly air-cooled, and some of those people don't even know what a Jetta or Passat is! Truth be told, I'm getting to the point where I'd rather just get together with a bunch of VW owners and just cruise or park somewhere to socialize.

Maybe I'm not the show type. Either that, or I'm putting my cars in 10-15 years too early......

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
The "event" you described was much closer to being a club get-together than it was what I consider a "Car Show".

Unless the "Car Show" is part of a bigger event (like some arts & crafts & dust catchers festival), I don't usually attend them. When I do, it's mostly mid-50's to late-70's muscle cars. Closest thing to a modern car show I last attended was an APR BBQ about 3-4 years ago...some of the same spectacles you mention, but not quite as "wide-open anything goes" as other marquee-specific car shows.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many VW clubs have their own shows where anything goes. The problem is that if 90% of club members have air-cooleds, the water-cooled entries are viewed as an afterthought. Even the classes are unfair, because a typical club will make every effort they can to separate every imaginable generation of air-cooled model while water-cooled VWs are more or less clumped together. For example, a 1957 Oval Window Beetle, a Beetle between 1958-1967, a 1968 Beetle, and a 1974 Super Beetle will each be in their own class while cars such as MK IV Jettas and Golfs, along with B5 Passats, will be in just one class.

But where I'm decidedly different is as follows: I'll vote for a Plain Jane 2007 Passat Wagon or a 2012 Routan minivan that's clean over some dilapidated Bus that hasn't looked good since the Vietnam War........

1 - 3 of 3 Posts