Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What direction should this tyre roll in?

A) Direction A
B) Direction doesn't matter
C) Direction C

I have four identical tyres, so two rolls in direction A and the other two rolls in the direction C. Is it supposed to be like that?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
You should take pic of tire side,full one. Usually you can find there arrow that shows you direction of rotation. If those are Continental than it's no surprise, they have strange tire path; two left tires have path different then two right ones.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I forgot to mention that: They are Michelin Premacy Pilot.

And there are no arrows on them at all.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
O.K.
if you look to your pic those tread patterns from right side of pic are to be mounted from "inside" part of rim (closer to brake rotor). ALL tires should be mounted that way and ALL tires must rotate direction C.
Treads on your right side of pic are for extracting water (against Aqua-planning) and extracting is starting from middle of tire width, toward outside of tire.So, first contact with water must have middle part of tread (channel).
BTW you should look closer for arrow, all Michelins have thin arrow, on some of them is written: "direction" or "rotation"

·
Registered
477 Posts
Looks like direction C to me., because the WATER should go to the OUTER side of the tyre but not towards the center..

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
From the Tire Rack page on this tire:

On the outside, the Pilot Primacy molds a silica-based tread compound into an asymmetric tread design that features stable independent outer shoulder tread blocks (to blend dry road handling with wet cornering traction), a continuous center rib (which reduces noise while providing constant road contact to enhance straight line stability), and a high angle grooved inner tread design (to further enhance wet grip and resist hydroplaning).
Based on the pic and the description (and the fact that there's no mention of "unidirectional" or anything like that), the answer would be B -- it doesn't matter, as long as you have the correct orientation such that the shoulder blocks are on the outside.

Andy

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, that's what I thought when I took the tyres off (these are summer tyres and I have now mounted winter tyres).

The thing is that they came mounted on the car when it was new, and as I said, all four are indentical. Should I go back to the dealer?

·
Registered
666 Posts
I don't know too much about tires, but it does look like you can mount these either way, the designs are different on each side, but they also do look even when it comes to distribution channels for water to escape.

BTW-Nice rubbers :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts