Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in April of 2003 I got in a car accident with a curb. :oops: I replaced the passenger side cv axle with a Raxles rebuilt unit. Installe with all propper specs. Rode great, until last night.

I was at a stop sign, wheel slightly turned. I stepped on the gas, and the car went, and then grinded. Car came to a stop as I pulled off the side of the road. Called a buddy, and we pushed the car off the shoulder, and into an adjacent parking lot. Upon looking at the car, the wheel turned funny. So we removed the front wheel and tire, and looked at the boot. At that point, the joint had popped out of the CV. So, we quick called a few auto parts stores to see if they had axles/joints. No body carries them. So, we button the car up, and call a tow truck. Tow gets there, and because the car is so low, decides not to even attempt to tow the car. Wise choice IMO.

So, we go back to my buddies house, and thing of something. We end up leaving the car at the parking lot. I get home, and Allyn, another buddy calls me. Said he has tools, and possibly a CV joint that would work. So, we go back 20 miles to get the car. Allyn has a Scirocco Reiger Widebody with a tow hitch. So, we all get the stuff out, and tow the Passat to Allyns house which is now about 25 miles away. So, we are down the highway, and an off suty officer pulls us over. SHEET... He says just to be careful, and watch traffic (take note, this is being done at like 1030pm to prevent traffic issues, and less suspiscion). Get the car to his house, and find out that the joint he has is different. So we take the CV axle out, find that it exploaded all over the new coilovers, etc. The joint was LIMP as ever. Only being held on by the cv boot. Here's the details:

Joint was roughly 10k miles old. No previous noises. Boot was intact and not busted. The 6 balls in the joint were all marked up with may gouges in the balls. The gate/retainer that holds the balls in place was broken in 3 peices, allowing the balls to float round in the boot freely. This created a very loud noise when going 50mph being towed.

So, today's objective... get the axle repaired locally, get it installed, and get on the road to still be able to attend the South's larger VW/Audi GTG in South FLorida. I was supposed to leave at 8am this AM, but to hell if this is going to prevent me from going.

Steve

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Steve,
Another CB5 member, kimbote, had the same thing happen to him....except twice. He replaced his oem stuff with the Raxle and a month later.....SNAP! So he thought maybe it was installed wrong or maybe he got a bad one or he might just have pushed it to hard to soon. So he replaced it with another Raxle and this one lasted about three months :shock: :mad: . We couldnt believe it! Four months and two axles!!!! Anyway, he just spent the few extra bucks and bought the VW one. Three months later and hes still good!

I havent heard anything but bad from this Raxle company. How long have they been around? Do they offer a warranty?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Sorry to hear that . I have axles from Raxles :shock: and havent had a problem yet. Hope to see you here tomorrow with the Green Machine

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
dublife said:
I havent heard anything but bad from this Raxle company. How long have they been around? Do they offer a warranty?
Funny how life works. I haven't heard anything but good about Raxles...

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I have alot of things to do tomorrow. I just got back from the GTG, and had it all fixed for a mear $42.40 at a local shop. The worked their magic last Friday to get me off to the GTG in SoFla on time. Ill post up a new thread to tell all what my other accident was. And Jason, sure enough, the bumper is damaged. :mad:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
With the coils, you shoulda jacked the car back up for the tow. :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
Thumber
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing