Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2006 Passat I had a problem with bad reception on the radio. After alot of troubleshooting it turns out the wire to the connector on back of the radio was weakened and causing the static. I bought a few of theses Fakra connectors but am not having much luck with them and my cable wire is getting shorter. I am thinking about just replacing the cable with one that has connectors already on them.I have the rear window type antenna. I know the cable goes from back of the radio to the signal booster in the back window and I assume it runs through the pillars and the headliner. Is this correct? I am guessing that the cable is secured and you just can't pull it through using the old one. Is the cable one piece or is there a connector at some point? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Best bet is to get your hands on a wiring diagram. The antenna cable will most likely go the opposite route of what you're thinking though... It'll go from the back of the radio, down through the dashboard, under the floor, up through the harness behind the rear seat, then up through the C pillar. If I had to guess, it'll be a single cable that goes from the radio all the way back to where it connects to the signal amplifier.

Usually the only cables being run to the headliner are for the sunroof, MAP light, and rear reading lights. This is because at the factory the wiring harness is hot glued/some kind of adhered to the headliner top then installed in the car and plugged in somewhere beneath the dashboard.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks vbora 01. While reaching into the opening this morning I could feel a downward turn in the cable and I believe you are correct as the cable seems to be heading under the middle console. I called the dealer as far a a pre made cable and he stated that they could get the cable but it would not have the ends already on it. I had ordered a couple of the Fakra connectors but the middle conductor pin was too small to fit all of the wire in and my attempts at improvising a solution have so far failed. So before I cut it too far back and have to pull the cable out I am looking for a local shop that has the fittings and tools to make a connection to my radio or maybe get an aftermarket one as long as they can connect the fitting on my cable. I really appreciate your help on this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts