Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it turns out I may be taking my new Variant back. The dealer screwed up on the residual on the lease and they want to raise my payments. I told them since the sales department screwed up, let them eat it. If they won't I'll take it back and get on at another dealer. Either way I'm not coming out of pocket. They said they're going to get everything solved one way or the other by tomorrow and call me with a resolution. If it's not to my liking I'll take the car back (with the extra 900 miles I out on it)
and go shopping again. Maybe I'll even find a MB or CR Variant. :D

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you had bought the car and then after a month said that you screwed up on how much you planned to spend. Then you said that you were going to drop agreed upon price and needed to redo the contract... Do you think they would accomodate? :roll:

So why should you accomodate them. Dont give the car back and dont renegotiate.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to do one or the other since VW Credit won't finalize the contract until we get the residual issue cleared up. Either way I'm not paying more than I agreed to. I'm feeling sooooooo good right now. Maybe I'll have them throw in some of those nice 18" BBS wheels. :eek:h:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the dealer called and said they'd eat the $600 difference and I have to go in on Saturday to re-draw the paperwork. I'm going to add a couple of things I missed during the PDI to the "we owe" list or I'm going to walk away .I also want to see what they can do for me on some 18" BBSs. Maybe they'll take my 15" alloys back and I can pay the difference. That would be fine with me and I could add it to the financing if I want to. I figure at 1.5% it's better than charging them. :lol: I'll keep everyone updated. If I do walk away I've been looking at the WRX and Mazda6 wagons. I still would rather have my Variant though. :wink:

·
Registered
28 Posts
When the dealer says, "VW Credit won''t finalize the contract", what this means is that the dealer can't get VW Credit to buy the contract from it unless the residual is lowered and the payments jacked up accordingly. If you and the dealer both signed the contract, there is nothing left to "finalize."

Read the lease you signed. I'll bet it is between you and the dealer, not you and VW Credit, i.e., you are the lessee, the dealer is the lessor and VW Credit is just the financial institution to which the dealer hoped to sell the lease.

Like Tray said above, do you think the dealer would let you out of the lease if you thought you had made a bad deal?

All that talk about better wheels and what-not borders on fantasy. Once you get in the f&i office and agree to "redraw the paperwork" you can kiss any hope of coming out on the winning end good-bye.

Leases are, in general, horrible deals from the consumer's standpoint. In most lease transactions the consumer winds up paying, in effect, sticker price or more for the car. Understanding all the terminology and the numbers and knowing how to pull off a good lease deal is well beyond the capability of the vast majority of consumers.

There is also a good chance that the dealer purposely made a "mistake" in the lease just to get you into the car and attached to it, counting on getting you to come back in later to redo the deal. This is a variation of the scheme known in the industry as "putting the car out on a yo-yo", or, as dealers prefer to euphemistically term it, "spot delivery."

That said, I hope, for your sake, that you prove me wrong.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
What dealership did u buy from?

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Roseville VW. They've always been great to me and it sounds like they're going to work with me and not try to screw me. I guess it helps that I can walk away from the deal right now. Not to mention I've put almost 1000 miles on it since I got it. :wink:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
quality_sound said:
Well the dealer called and said they'd eat the $600 difference and I have to go in on Saturday to re-draw the paperwork. I'm going to add a couple of things I missed during the PDI to the "we owe" list or I'm going to walk away .I also want to see what they can do for me on some 18" BBSs. Maybe they'll take my 15" alloys back and I can pay the difference. That would be fine with me and I could add it to the financing if I want to. I figure at 1.5% it's better than charging them. :lol: I'll keep everyone updated. If I do walk away I've been looking at the WRX and Mazda6 wagons. I still would rather have my Variant though. :wink:

They should cut you a deal on your 15" wheels. That's what I did. They gave me $670.00 for my factory wheels and tires and charged me $1800.00 for my BBS's and tires. A difference out of pocket of 1130 bucks. Then I got a local suspension shop to do my Eibach Pro System (dealer wanted too much money).

Jimmy :)

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jimmy - maybe I wrote it wrong. I don't expect them to give me the BBSs, just take mine in at retail pricing and maybe hook me up on the BBSs ya know, for the inconvenience. I'm just no sure how they'll look on a Variant. Yours is pretty bad ass though.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
DOH! You read my post too soon. I modified it because I realized what you were saying...

I'd look at a set of RX's for the Variant. They'll look SICK!
I'll bet CH's would look awesome too (big bucks).

Jimmy :)

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Should have bought from Lasher...

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Like Slats says .. knowing how to pull off a good lease deal is well beyond the capability of the vast majority of consumers.

When I was buying GMs I dealt with the same dealer here for a long time and one year I enquired about a lease.. The sales manager and owner ( I know both personally) both sat down with me and went through the numbers and explained how the residuals and buyouts worked and what I would be out of pocket by lease end and how you have no equity even tho you had a trade in etc.
and how its is a one way street with a lease..

They said that valueing my friendship they wouldn't go into a lease agreement with me.

It was an awaking experience.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.