Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post. Bought my first VW, a 2004 Passat GLX Tiptronic, in February with 7,700 miles for US$20k plus tax. Dark gray; Vancouvers (Sorry, I have no camera). It was a trade on a new Jag, and my former yoga student is a salesman at the local Jag dealer. First mods were necessities here in the islands - tint and surf racks. Sorry, I have no camera.

Over the past few months I've spent many hours reviewing PW threads. That is the main reason for this post - to thank all of you members, moderators and administrators for your help! I learned so much about my car, including priceless warranty, prevention and mod info from this site. I'll post later in the general b5 discussion forum my experiences so far, including some of the specific ways PW has already helped.

Previous cars:
1971: 63 Plymouth Fury sedan (grandfather's)
1972: 70 Dodge Challenger RT, manual
1973-77 (college): various $50 - $100 mopars and chevys, and one free one
77-79: 75 Honda civic wagon, 4sp
79-83: 77 Dodge Colt (Mitsubishi Lancer), 4sp
84-92: new 85 Mazda GLC, rsp, no ac - drove it 112k
92-Feb 06: new Honda Civic DX 16v hatch, 5sp. Drove it 141k with the original clutch and brakes. Mods: 15s and swaybars.

thanks again for your participation. Wish there was a site like this for my previous cars when I owned them.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Welocme! I'd say you got a really good deal. I hear Hawaii is very expensive, and if that includes the price of cars then you probably got a steal. I bought my 2004 GLS (one step below yours) with 9500 miles for 19,250 last July, so for less than $1000 more you got more car than I did!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
deals

bill1975 said:
Welocme! I'd say you got a really good deal. I hear Hawaii is very expensive, and if that includes the price of cars then you probably got a steal. I bought my 2004 GLS (one step below yours) with 9500 miles for 19,250 last July, so for less than $1000 more you got more car than I did!
Thanks for the feedback. I was actually planning to replace my 92 civic with a new 06 Civic Si, $20k msrp. But when every dealer I contacted here and in California was adding $5k "adjusted market value" to the sticker price, I looked more seriously at the alternatives. And I'm glad I did. I drove a few 04 Accords, a Jetta and a Passat wagon. The VWs just seem like so much more and so much cooler cars, and the early depreciation makes them a relative bargain, I think.
Hawai`i is very expensive. Fortunately, most people don't rack up too many miles on O`ahu. Therefore, it is possible to find used cars with low miles for decent prices. Aloha.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts