Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,871 Posts
If anyone does decide to do this, be sure and go with higher quality film, just by reading the comments on the thread towards the end, it sounds like this guy just ruined his paintjob. Do note on the front bumper there is already vinyl bubbling up, what will it looks like 6 months from now?

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Summary for the impatient:

"Nice! Where'd you get the vinyl?"
"VOMIT"

·
13,871 Posts
Summary for the impatient:

"VOMIT"
Followed by

"Hey I'm an expert and that vinyl is going to destroy your paint"

"silence"

:lol:

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
I think it's a great job, but if he really only plans to keep it on there for a year, it's not worth the trouble (especially if it f*cks up his paint). I'd like to see 3M or someone come up with a solid version of clearbra, custom cut for specific models. I'd probably pay several hundred dollars to protect the paint and change the car's color for a few years.

I still shudder to remember every house where I've ever peeled old wallpaper. :banghead:

·
13,871 Posts
I think it's a great job, but if he really only plans to keep it on there for a year, it's not worth the trouble (especially if it f*cks up his paint). I'd like to see 3M or someone come up with a solid version of clearbra, custom cut for specific models. I'd probably pay several hundred dollars to protect the paint and change the car's color for a few years.

I still shudder to remember every house where I've ever peeled old wallpaper. :banghead:
3M already has vinyl in pretty much any color you can think of. Do you remember the matte black Ferrari that was posted up on here a while back? that was all done with 3M colored vinyl. You can get the vinyl in any color, including clear. It is epensive, but it does not damage the paint and it removes easily without damage.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
If anyone does decide to do this, be sure and go with higher quality film, just by reading the comments on the thread towards the end, it sounds like this guy just ruined his paintjob. Do note on the front bumper there is already vinyl bubbling up, what will it looks like 6 months from now?
Where do you see the bubbling and where are the comments indicating his paint was ruined?

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
vinyl doesn't F' the paint. idiots who don't know how to install or remove it properly do. you can't just rip the shit off as you please, you have to be careful.

also note that you have to really do your work cleaning every square inch of the car to remove contaminants. we're talking this is a job done with the garage door CLOSED.

also, as for application fluid, go buy a jug of Mr. bubbles. it's sudsy and has no detergent in it. works great!
you mix it with water in a 1:5 ratio. 1 part bubbles, 5 parts water.

·
13,871 Posts
vinyl doesn't F' the paint. idiots who don't know how to install or remove it properly do. you can't just rip the shit off as you please, you have to be careful.

also note that you have to really do your work cleaning every square inch of the car to remove contaminants. we're talking this is a job done with the garage door CLOSED.
Yeah, that is pretty much what a guy commenting on the thread said. Apparently he is a professional vinyl installer and he was saying that if all the wax is not removed completely, it will bake on to the paint and cause brown stains. He also posted pictures of cheap vinyl that has dissolved into a million dime sized pieces. Removable? yes. A complete pain in the ass to remove? definetly. :lol: Hopefully this guy lucks out. I guess i know if I decide to do this, I will be going for a high quality 3M vinyl product.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
Yeah, that is pretty much what a guy commenting on the thread said. Apparently he is a professional vinyl installer and he was saying that if all the wax is not removed completely, it will bake on to the paint and cause brown stains. He also posted pictures of cheap vinyl that has dissolved into a million dime sized pieces. Removable? yes. A complete pain in the ass to remove? definetly. :lol: Hopefully this guy lucks out. I guess i know if I decide to do this, I will be going for a high quality 3M vinyl product.
well, by the time i'm done with my collision training i'll be a "trained professional" in vinyl/decal install as well. :p

if you understand the theories behind it, then it's all fine and well.
the basic install method behind it is to first use a waterborne cleaner first to remove large debris such as dirt etc, then use a solvent to go back over and clean the wax and finer stuff off, so that you can get a proper adhesion to the clear, itself.

and the wetting solution is used to allow some slide with the vinyl to get it set just right, and to get the air bubbles out easily by sliding and shifting them out to the sides. provided you let the vinyl dry properly to where the water all comes out, wetting solution as well, then it should stick pretty firmly.
if you get some nasty bubbles that are a bitch to work out, the common rule of thumb is a pin, NOT a razor blade.
if you use a pin the round hole doesn't stretch or crack, the way a sharp-cornered hole would from the long sharp edge of the blade over time.

there's lots of tricks to pick up. vinyl is one of those things that's easy to put on or off, but also at the same time can easily go from easy to complete bitch to work with. depends the level of detail and how many contours you have to work with.

another thing to note about that guy's work is that he prolly put a few nice razor marks in the paint around the edges and handles. personally, i would have fully removed those pieces so the work could be properly applied, then gone back later with the reapplication of the pieces. they have their own recessed grooves, it's not that difficult. maybe one more hour of work, but absolutely worth it if you want to keep your car sealed from rust/corrosion hot-spots. (rust related to repair work or collisions)

he did good for his first time considering the scale of the job, i will at least say this.
after all the tricks and details i've learned about vinyl use and application, i would have done a lot of things differently.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts