Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my 2010 CC wouldn't start. When my mechanic looked at it with his friend-who is a VW mechanic- he said he thought it was the exhaust valve. I had it towed to the VW dealer where I purchased it and had them take a look. It seems the timing chain broke and they suspect that, yes, they'll probably find further problems when they take it apart and that it is quite possibly the exhaust valve. They told me that worst-case scenario is $4300! The car is slightly over 5 years old with a little over 90,000 miles. This is not the first time I've had to make expensive repairs on this car. I had the dreaded carbon build-up at 3 years. At the same time I had to replace a water pump. With the addition of a few bulbs replaced (which happens fairly often) the grand total for that was about $1800. VW said they would pay half the cost of "de-carbonizing" the car after I pressed them. Then, when I told them they should be paying the total cost since it was their design flaw, they refused. I took it right up to the president of the company, telling him I had a life-long relationship with vw's since my dad had a repair shop that specialized in them and had always sung their praises. VW even put me in their Das Auto magazine for naming my CC! Know what their answer was? We've done enough for you. So here I am now, with this major repair and going through the channels again. They still don't want to help. It's important to note that I ALWAYS put 93 in the tank and take care of my car. Also, there have been a number of other repairs done to the car. The intake manifold has been replaced twice and there have been other issues, as well. I won't even talk about how many damaged tires I've had! If I were to make the repair on this car my totals would be over $7000, not including tires and oil and not including the repairs made by vw. Has anyone else had an experience like this and am I crazy for thinking this is something of a lemon that vw should take some responsibility for?

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,287 Posts
Nobody's engine is flawless. One engine can go 200k with no issue and another only 90. Luck of the draw. Carbon build up a vw problem? Almost every direct injected engine on the market gets carbon build up. Nature of the beast. At 90k, no motor company would even begin to think about assistance. By no means a lemon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, VAGguy, do you think approximately $9000 in repairs is reasonable for a car at this point in it's life? I've had several other cars in my life-most of them volkswagens- and none have come close to the repairs made on this one.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,287 Posts
No, but vw owes you nothing out of warranty. What other repairs added up to this much? Damaged tires wouldn't count against the car would they?

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
Timing chain? Does it not have a timing belt?
If so what is the change recommendation?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts