Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Manuals for B5.5 and some repair advices

16K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Goran10 
#1 ·
I have been advices to try to find some answers here from a member of diclub.com forum, so here I am. :)

I have just bought 1.9 TDI 96KW van and I have not received owner's manual for it. Can someone share it with me, or point me to some link were I can download it? Also is there some service maual that can be download, were I can see how to dismount some parts on the car, like plate on the doors (I need to fix electromotor for window and also lock for the back department).

Also, has anyone here tried to dismount glass from headlamp? I have a problem with lights on the car, they are completely down, and the motor is not working for both lights (I cannot move it from the panel inside the car). But also I cannot bring the light up using the Allen keys on the lights, lights are not moving at all. So I thought dismounting the glass from the lights to see if something is broken.

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks in advance,
Goran

#2 ·
I'm not aware of any download site for either owner's or service manuals - and I've looked, a lot. The best service manual (and replacement owner's manuals) can be purchased from Bentley.

The headlight "glass" is not normally removable; it's bonded in place. To take it off, you'd have to remove the headlight from the car, heat it to soften the tar-like bonding material, and pry it apart. It's a bit tricky, but can be done.

Sounds like the adjusting screws are broken, a common problem. The plastic gears crumble. Solution is new headlights.

#3 ·
Goran, the best place I've found for service manual, and owners manuals is Bentley Publishers. I am unaware of your specific vehicle year and so forth, so you'll have to search yourself.

Here is the main site. http://www.bentleypublishers.com/volkswagen/

Here is a direct link for eurovans. http://www.bentleypublishers.com/fi...guage=all&action=getresults&pubsTrackerEmail=

Once you find the manual on this site, you can try using google to search for the specific manual, and hopefully can be downloaded.

#7 ·
thanks to all of you for response. :) Does anyone here actually has bently's manual? How good is it, does it have solid pictures and all the info to make it as easy as possible?

@scotts13

hmm...... headlights (original) are pretty expensive, so I would like to try everything else before I decide to go that way. I will settle for now to tighten them in some good position "manually", for the start, and then I can wait for some good offer to come out for used ones.

@Tom Parish
Yes, I am reffering to that one also. Can you post a link to download location, since I cannot find any?

#9 ·
Goran 10

I'm just pulling up to speed on the forum and getting back into <at least diagnosing> - <maybe wrenching again>. Bentley manuals are gold, but expensive; I owned them for some of my "antique" VW's. I just received the Bentley CD for our 2002 & 2003 Passats today.

I saw some used service manuals on Amazon &/or Ebay. Note that there is a difference between a repair manual and a service manual; refer to the Bentley site for the details on the difference. It also seems that a buying used CD might result in your having to buy a license for viewer software (True - False?).

I purchased my CD from Amazon at ~$104 w/ tax & delivered. Ross Tech (Vag-com) will provide similar pricing if you buy their code-reader software and cable, (which seems to be the best available from what I've read here).

I saw today that ECSTuning offers a similar price for the Bentley CD; not sure how shipping and/or tax affect that pricing.

While this forum can provide some amazing insights and information, (including some posts with details and photos for specific procedures), the manual and something to scan the onboard diagnostics are important parts of a balanced gear-head diet.

My approach - Figure out the best that you can afford, than add more $ to that budget if you will really make use of it.

Also consider factoring in who you want to support; I might have preferred to throw the business for the CD to ECSTuning or a similar business on account of their supporting my VWs.

Just my 2 cents.

#10 ·
First manual I bought for my '05 was a Haynes. Good manual with good descriptions and instructions for some of the more common procedures but it seems mired in a b5 tech. You have to interpolate some to match it to the b5.5, not a real problem though, still a good manual.

I also have a ELSAWIN manual bought on E-bay. Paid $16 for it.
It is a CD/DVD but is not CD/DVD based. You load it onto your computer with a complicated install procedure. It does not require any extra veiwer software or licensing. It does not have any internet connectivity though as I'm sure the real 'licensed' dealer version does, but it still has a lot of good info.
My one gripe though is electrical schematics. For one, Its hard to get any continuity(pun intended) when you have to page through 10 or more pages to trace a circuit. Easiest to just print them all and............... And second there seems to be some cicuits/devices missing or at least they're nested in in a group I can't find. Anyways I've heard the Bentley schematics are good.

I am looking to buy a real Bentley when I find the right price.

just my .02c

#11 ·
First manual I bought for my '05 was a Haynes. Good manual with good descriptions and instructions for some of the more common procedures but it seems mired in a b5 tech. You have to interpolate some to match it to the b5.5, not a real problem though, still a good manual.

I am looking to buy a real Bentley when I find the right price.
How old is your Haynes? The current copies are marked as covering the B5.5 material. When I bought mine (around 2007) it was for the B5 only.

Also, if there's one coming up in your area, check VW shows/events. I got my Bentley from one of the vendors at the Deutsche Classic, here in Pa. $50, new and shrink-wrapped.

#13 ·
Thanks guys, ElsaWin is on the way. I have tried solving first problem - drivers door when opened does not turn on lights in the car - the problem was in one of the 4 switches in the lock. Now for the next problem - trunk door will not open electrically, but using the key it opens - I will need to investigate that one more thoroughly. I have checked the switches and they are ok, I will need to check the motor. Currently I am using my friends AutoData, but in there I can find only wiring diagrams, so disassembling driver's door was a hell (this is were ElsaWin should be of help in the future. :)

@Tom Parish
The only thing that looks promising on the link you provided is "BROCHURE VW FEATURES & CONTROLS ENG". Is this what I am looking for (owner's manual), or I am mistaken?

#14 ·
for the trunk not opening from inside, on m passat there is a little key hole near the trunk release that disables the inside switch for the trunk but the key FOB would still work. Stick in your key, turn it in the only direction it will turn and take it out. then try the trunk release switch.

#15 ·
When I put the key, and turn it to the left, then release the key to middle position, the trunk opens half-way, but when I try with the trunk release switch (handle), it still doesn't open completely ( I can, however, open the trunk wby holding the key to the left and lifting up the door). When I close the trunk, and then lock the car with remote, the motor in the trunk is started and in opens (!!) the trunk, but still not completely, only half-way. I still cannot open the trunk with the switch. The switch is working, I have measured the contact, and its NO contact.

Also, when I turn the key in the lock, I have 3 positions: right, middle and left. When I put it in the right position, small red switch is getting pressed on the lock inside. Why there are two positions where I can remove the key from the lock (middle and right)?

Anyone have some idea about this problem?

@nj12nets: I could not find that little key hole you are referring to....

#16 ·
I didn't realize your trunk opens w/ a motor. My 03 has a regular trunk but has a little security lock for the trunk on the drivers side. I don't know what the issue is but it sounds like an electrical issue. Maybe check the fuse(s) for that feature and replace em just to be sure there not damaged.

#17 ·
It's not completely clear, but what I'm guessing is that by "motor" he means the electric latch - it does sort of sound like a motor when it cycles. Further, I'm guessing when he says it "opens" half way he means it unlatches half way; it pops up a bit but cannot be opened. Have I got it right, Goran? I'd be guessing a bad electric latch, except for unlatching when the remote lock command is given - the trunk latch shouldn't be involved at all.

Maybe we finally should ask where Goran is and exactly what car - remember, he said it was a TDI van.

#18 ·
Yes, scotts13, you have got everything right. But just for the clarification about "unlatches half way", I would like to clarify this a bit more.

When we open the trunk, we can visually inspect the "lock" - by lock now I mean mechanical part that actually locks the back door. we can even push the lock with hand, so we can lock it manually. I could not find the trunk lock picture, but here is one for the side door, so we can be sure what I am talking about.

http://www.wagenparts.com/327837016BDoorLock.htm

From what I understand, this lock has 3 positions: 0 - unlocked, 1 - closed and 2 - locked.

So, when the door is opened and I manually try to push this lock, I can push it up to two positions. When I push it all the way inside (2nd position), electric latch automatically opens it, and the lock mechanism is back to position 0, not 1. I am clarifying this so you don't think that it returns to position 1 (unlatches half way). I am not sure however what happens when the trunk door is closed, but this is what I can see when its opened.

What I think the main problem is: lets assume all the doors on the car are unlocked and closed, except for the trunk door which is unclocked and opened, and then I close the trunk door. At this point the trunk door is "solid closed", by which I mean if I try to move door a little up/down, there is no movement at all. To my opinion trunk look is now in position 2 (locked). If at this moment, I lock the doors with remote, front and rear doors would lock, but trunk door would unlock to, what I think is position 1. At this point, if I try to move trunk door up/down, I have a slight movement (2-3 mm) Why would it give command to unlock? But still I could not open the trunk door with the switch (remember that switch (handle) is electrically correct).

I hope that I gave more information now to clarify the situation. I have a year 2001 Passat B5.5 96KW with central locking. I know that most of you people here are from USA, and although I live in Europe, I am hoping that central locking mechanism should be the same on all car models.

@nj12nets: I also have one switch on the driver's door, next to the switch that opens the reservoir, but this switch also doesn't open the trunk door (neither can I open with the handle on the back door).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.