Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ive only have had stick cars - i think they are more fun and you get more control over the car... but i have alway also liked the luxuary of automatic too on the occasion of getting my car worked on and getting a rental car - well sad to say but MY2000 met its match in a head on collision a week ago and i am in the market for a new automoble (sadly enough not a VW but a WRX). im turning 30, do i go auto in my old age or head to the stick again? or is it all in my head? im curious please let me know.....

also if anyone knows someone who might want a obar and a front upper strut bar i should be unbolting them of the wreck sometime this week along with a bluapunkt heidelberg cd-50 or 51 not sure....

thanks

G

·
First off this feels kinda auto anythingish maybe even general bu definately not o.t

Second i think it was a great Mercedes selling VW driver who once said "I'm going to shift until i get arthritis". Get that stick so you can enjoy your daily driving screw that slushbox.

As for the stuff your trying to bump crosspost that to the classifieds.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Yeah my buddy has an automatic WRX. Talk about a letdown, when he told me he got a black WRX 2 years ago I was pretty excited for him and I got in his car right after that to go to lunch with and looked down to see a slush box (the horror - ahhh!)

I agree with the others, I drove stick for years, went to an automatic (wife's car) and was miserable for 4 years and now I'm pretty happy once again to drive my stick Passat! ;)

·
Banned
5,213 Posts
highrpms said:
im turning 30, do i go auto in my old age or head to the stick again? or is it all in my head?
I don't know what you're talking about. I'm 36 and still love the stick shift. I think it's all in your head. Like AA said:
atomicalex said:
Save your auto years for when you need them (80s).

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Do not buy an automatic WRX unless you plan to build a serious drag racer. If you must get an auto and you will daily drive the car, buy something else, maybe an Outback with the 3.0 flat 6 or if you don't need the horsepower, a 2.5RS. The 2.5L NA feels good mated to the auto.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks all thats a pretty overwhelming response!

hey alex - yeah a while since i have done anything to my car hence not posting in a while. i got hit on shady lane in rockledge - very bad street... 10am on sunday going to a phillies game !!! normally id be sleeping....

thanks all

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Last I checked, Subaru's with auto trannys have a different torque split then the manuals do. You may be interested in verifying it that is still the case or not and if it impacts your purchase.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
highrpms,

I am on the fence like you. I will be in the market for a new car in about 6 months. The stick -vs- auto has been driving me nuts.

To start I have never owned, nor driven a manual car. But have friends that do, and they to swear by them. Part of my wants to try it, part of me dosen't.

Another thing to consider, is the new Subaru Legacy.

-Nick

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
My Passat is the first auto i have owned out of 20+ cars. I have no regrets, except on good tight roads where the tip shifts a little slow. I also drive 80 miles a day in traffic or never would of considered it. I use to do it in a stick and I would go nuts. Now, it doesn't phase me.

Unless the WRX is different or something has chanegd in the last couple years, Subaru has two totally different AWD systems for Auto and stick. The stick is a simpler system that starts with a 50/50 split and varies the torque. The auto has a 90/10 split and send power to the rear wheels as needed.

Anyway, I would own another tiptronic car, but not sure about a WRX auto.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Yea, the VTD diff is also available on one of the Outback models. The 90/10 front-biased diff is still the most common one on slushbox subarus, though. All the manuals except the USDM STI and some JDM STIs use locking VCs of various stiffness. I think you'll be mighty disappointed testing a slushbox WRX with the current weather, Postman.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Actually, I'm more concerned on the new Legacy Turbo. I really dread having to clutch 482 times a day again, but have hit the 2 year mark on the VW. I never keep cars much longer then that. Have to make up my mind soon on what to get.

I was never a fan of the older (2.5RS, Leg GT) auto Subbys. The manual was like driving a rally car. The auto was like driving a Camry!

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
I see no reason EVER to buy an automatic except LAZINESS. It's hard to depress a clutch?!? WAAAH! :cry: Next someone will say that it is too much work to steer and depress the accelerator.

I need autopilot! I can't be expected to actually pay attention while I drive. It's too strenuous. :cry:

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I've been driving stick now for about two years and my legs are still the same size and I put up with alot of stop and go traffic. The clutch in the passat is one of the EASIEST things to press.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.