Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I've got a spare, but it uses the smaller tripod axles and bearings, so older uprights would be needed. A newer used trans should not be too expensive. www.car-part.com lists multiple V6 manual transmissions for the Passat within 50 miles of your location.
Why a V6 trans instead of the 1.8T, the gear ratios?

·
Registered
28,619 Posts
Yes, 3K at 80mph and they might be slightly stronger. They also used the larger bearings so it should be easier to find vs the 1.8T manual that used smaller bearings up through the 2001 B5.

Reactions: VAGguy

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks. So, I moved her to the street to await a tow truck on Monday.

This video is at idle going through all the gears, including reverse. The higher the gear, the faster the sound is. Ugh, it hurts to hear that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I know non VAG owners like to joke that this is it’s natural habitat/position, but not mine. Just twice before. Bad coil packs under warranty and a shattered water pump impeller at 60k.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Oh, I don’t care. Just shows their ignorance.

Most of them drive ROTM cars. One does drive a GSW but is a douche. Funny, I moved to this neighborhood in August and have found out that none of them really know how to wrench, is handy, or has anything interesting. One just bought a wildly obnoxious charger with body kit and his kid has a clapped out 2000-something pep boys special mustang. The rest of the neighbors are pretty mundane.

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
You seriously need to host a Passat get together, show them ass clowns how to have fun.

Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well, if it is internal to the trans and a replacement isn't too bad, I will be keeping this trans for a teardown. I swear, I cannot find a teardown/rebuild ANYWHERE online for an 012/01W.
Those sounds! Cringeworthy.

If you do find a manual, please share the link or place you can purchase one.

·
Registered
223 Posts
www.car-part.com will search for matching used parts based on distance to you.
Ha! Should of been more specific. I meant a shop manual to rebuild the 012 gearbox.

I've been cursory looking for awhile and this is the closest I've found.

·
Registered
28,619 Posts

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
All I see is an 01E video

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
This is another go-to place for transmissions and parts:
[/QUOTE]

I remember seeing this place years ago. Those complete transmissions will cost you your first born and a few limbs.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Suppose you would've posted that if you did hear anything. Duh. I'm such a tool. o_O

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Nothing yet. They’ll be pulling the trans today. They’re just trying to fit it in wherever right now. At least I don’t have to maneuver around it in the driveway.

Plenty of used transmissions within 100 miles of me for $500 or less if it comes to that.

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
28,619 Posts
All I see is an 01E video
Sorry, I read the part where it comes with a rebuild video, but missed the part about it being an 01E. I expect the front differential is nearly the same and likely where your issue is since the noise is faster in higher gears.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Well, It turns out I misdiagnosed a bad inner joint spline. The splines on the inner joint end stripped on the right side. I guess I just couldn't see that the inner was not turning when I was trying to check it out by myself. Oh well, lesson (expensive) learned. Just having them do the broken axle and I will replace the other side myself for good measure once I get it back. Kicking myself over this one :(. At least the tow was free as an auto insurance perk.

Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Well, It turns out I misdiagnosed a bad inner joint spline. The splines on the inner joint end stripped on the right side. I guess I just couldn't see that the inner was not turning when I was trying to check it out by myself. Oh well, lesson (expensive) learned. Just having them do the broken axle and I will replace the other side myself for good measure once I get it back. Kicking myself over this one :(.
Don't kick yourself too hard. I did practically the same thing on my B6 A4. Got stranded on a mountain road, it just whirred and vibrated when trying to accelerate, but no drive at all. Eventually it was flat-bedded 100 miles home, and I ordered a new Quattro automatic transmission, being certain the problem was internal. When that arrived, I had the car and replacement transmission transported another 40 miles to the shop that our company uses. A few hours later, the shop owner called: "You've just got a stripped axle shaft at an outer CV". Fortunately they were smart enough to figure that out and not pull the trans (which continues to work fine at 260K miles).

21 - 40 of 44 Posts