Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it so freakin expensive to change the fluid on a 1.8t manual??? I got a quote for 250 from an indy and 360 from the dealer! I asked my indy that and he said: 2hours of labor and the synthetic fluid is around 80bucs.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I had it done for about $60 labor and whatever the manual gear oil cost at the VW dealer....$40-60 or something. There's also detailed instructions here somewhere, do a search.

Just look at the maintenance schedule. VW likes to pretend the car doesn't require any preventive maintenance, everything is 'lifetime' or a rubber belt that lasts 105K miles blah blah blah. So if you ask for preventive maintenance, you're going to really pay for it. I guess they figure this plays better than trying to charge people less for more frequent regularlly scheduled preventive services.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya, im all for preventive maint. I just called another indy and got a quote for 125 (1 hr of labor). He said the other shop probably gave me a quote for an automatic. Still though, he said 2 hours of labor :???: and they should know better that i have a manual since ive been there twice recently and am in their system.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Personally, I'd much rather fork over $120 or so every 2 years for preventive maintenance than $5,000 for a new transmission....89 bijillion dollars for something that's broken that they said didn't need any preventive maintenance would play much worse with me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.