Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the bolts on one of the rear tranny mounts loosened up on my son's '02 Passat. The battery died and he "pop" started it. Well this violent jerk of the tranny broke the case around one of those mounting bolts :banghead: This led to a leak of the tranny gear oil, which is how he discovered the problem, along with a clunking noise when downshifting. The car still shifts and drives fine, so it appears he is lucky and no real damage was done to the internals.

So my question is: Can the tailpiece on the tranny case be removed and replaced without any special tools? Are there components in there that need to be aligned or that are attached to that tailpiece, or is that piece just a cover that can be removed without disturbing anything inside? The reason is that I have another spare tranny that I could just swap that piece from and this would be way easier than swapping the entire tranny. :wrench:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I'm answering my own question here. Figured there was nothing to lose with the trans that was leaking, so I went ahead and pulled off the rear half of the case. There were 13 torx-head bolts holding it to the front half. Once I removed those, just a little prying broke the seal and off it slid! There are a number of gears inside on 2 shafts, plus the shift rod that pokes through the back. Inside the case there is just one bearing mounted in the back for the end of the gear shaft and a gear which I would call an alignment gear because it does not drive anything.

So the case is at the welding shop now. Should be done tomorrow and Friday I hope to reassemble it all. Will use thread locker on all bolts to keep this from happening again!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
make sure all mating surfaces are flat and evenly/progressively/carefully torque as the welding will tend to warp overall surface even though repaired in just one area, not familiar with it as to what it looks like but file or "plate" sand repaired area. keep us posted with pics as I am sure this is or will not be the only time this might happen,thanks in advance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.