Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've got a manual... With the 1.8t there's no way VW could get me to take an automatic.... Test drive of one was EXTREMELY disappointing... Thankfully, stick more than made up for that ;)

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
autos are for the nancies who like to put on their makeup, eat breakfast, talk on the phone, and drive at the same time. and don't give me the, "my wife/gf made me get an auto," 'cos if you had a pair you should've put your foot down.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
This board has alot of enthusiasts that have manuals. Most Passats sold in the US are automatic.

I believe there are benefits to both kinds of transmission manual v auto. I've owned both and currently own both and they are both a pleasure to drive. In this day and age automatics have gotten very good with 5-7 gears, electronic controls, and minimal mileage or performance penalty. And the ease of use is renowned. Then again the manual gives you the best control with the best feel for the road.

I've owned many cars in my life and I usually have a manual, then the next car will be automatic, and so on.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
luvmyb5 said:
autos are for the nancies who like to put on their makeup, eat breakfast, talk on the phone, and drive at the same time. and don't give me the, "my wife/gf made me get an auto," 'cos if you had a pair you should've put your foot down.
LOL
I test drove a Jetta Manual and it sucked. In a city a stick is just brutal! So many f^%&ing traffic lights. I got a tiptronic as it was the only thing avail in a 4-Mo at year end... I actually prefer it for city driving and when I wanna brake or accelerate hard I'll flip it to tip. Good enough for me
!

·
Registered
221 Posts
luvmyb5 said:
Hey, I once rode with a person who did all that with a stick. She (...) scared the shit out of me.

I have an auto. It gets the job done.

Then again my Passat is slower than a snail on sandpaper so I don't really care.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
have two passats ,both w/tips..always had sticks in all our vechicles untill these two. must be the age group,50+ anyway w/ the tip its like having the best of both worlds whenever you feel the need to play w/something,seems though once the vechs.warmed up i use tip all the time.especially in trafffic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 98 manual, it has a wood grain(prob not real) stick on the gear shift. others i have seen have a leather one. Is that something for that model year or an option?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a V6 tip it's the only transmission available in mexico for passats because mexico is like manhattan a lot of traffic

Biggest city in the world it obviously has a lot of traffic the only thing I don't like is that with the tip is that it becomes thirsty!! it kills my wallet lol and that when it's on the red line the gear automatically shifts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
'98 GLS Sedan 1.8T w/5 speed manual.

I think that manual trans. are far more hard to find in the Variant (at least on the earlier B5's).

My wife let me get it, even though she couldn't drive a stick at the time (and after having two kids, she still can't drive a stick -- shame on me!)

I have to say that adding a Neuspeed Short-Shifter made a tremendous improvement in the car. After all the criticisms that I have read of VW's Tip performance (especially the DBW cars) I will probably never buy a VW automatic for myself. My next car will probably be an A4 w/Quattro & manual tranny -- I'm happy with my modded Passat, but I want to set the bar higher next time around.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have a V6 manual, special order that added about 5k to the bill. It's a blast. I drive in the city everyday, but I still love it! Won't go auto for a long time yet to come.

·
Registered
90 Posts
V6, yr 2000 MANUAL. :whistle:
You just can't compare the level of control that you get from automatic and manual during rain/snow (plus, it's more fun to drive!)

The only thing that I'd prefer over manual is the Selespeed (Alfa Romeo/Ferrari style) - but I don't know if that's available with any car in the US (+ and - behind the steering wheel)... :thumbup:

·
Registered
241 Posts
I guess it depends what you use your car for. If all you do is just drive, a manual is great fun. Yesterday, I was glad I had an auto when I loaded the wagon up with lumber and could barely reach the shift to put it in drive -- no way a manual would have worked there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's available in vw is called dsg and is faster than a manual tranny and in bmw is called smg. This trannys have double clutch. They're really really fast

·
Registered
539 Posts
When I was looking to buy a Passat back in '02 I opened the door of a tip and my pair started pulling up tight like I was about to jump into an icy lake. I know then that I could only buy a stick.:lol:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts