Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of CB5ers want to hook up the leveling motors that come equipped with their HIDs or HID lookalike headlights from Hella. As such feature is not standard in US B5, we all know a new switch is needed for such project.

I located such switch today. It is identical to the one that comes with my EU B5 which has the manual leveler as a standard feature. I am going to help a bunch of CB5ers to get this switch but would like to find out more as to whether this switch can actually be used in a US spec B5. I don't want to ship out something and find out later that it is not useable. :oops:

Any comment regarding this is very much welcome. Thanks!

HERE ARE A FEW PICS:

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Based on what I've seen before, this *should* be a replacement for our interior light dimmers. One half of the proposed switch is the dimmer (to replace our stock dimmers), and the other half is the light leveler. With no modification to our consoles, we'd get 2 switches in the same space where we currently get only the dimmer.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
DCDave...thanks for the explanation. At first glance, I thought it was one rotary switch for each headlight! My bad.

·
Registered
631 Posts
While it looks like it will fit and I hope it does, because I really want one of these, a problem arises with the wiring harness. We need to run wiring from the motor to the switch in order to utilize the leveling feature. Anyone with the leveling motors should know what I'm talking about. You can clearly see a plug on the back of the leveling motor. Could you get the wire harness too? That would be a great little package to sell. I know that PG Performance sells the rheostat and wiring kit for MK4's and I would assume the Passat can use the same.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just purchased HID look a like and wondered about this as well. It would be :bow: to be able to adjust the lights from inside the car! Keep us updated if you are able to get a complete set up including switch and all needed wiring. A wiring diagram would be helpful as well! :thumbup:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes this is what I have on my ride. Don't know if the US B5 also has the opening for this next to the light switch.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
I have one available if anyone wants to buy it. No wiring harness, you'll need to purchase that from pgperformance (it was expensive enough at the time that I didn't think it was worth it, but that might be different now).

I think vwguy4ever had done it to his old B5.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Is the leveling motor supposed to be standard on HID's? I just bought some HID's used in December and I don't think mine had the leveling motor (circled in Madigan's post). How much for this part?

As far as Maverick's post, the opening in the lower dash appears to be the same size, however we only have the interior light dimming dial which is centered on our switch.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
good18t said:
Any chance any one with a US B5 can post a pic showing their dimmer on his car? :poke:
Here ya go:

Taken from "Euroswitch Functions" in the Info Forum.

Props to Rich P for providing original thread.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Scuba2001 said:
I got a wiring diagram from a member here that wired things up. It can be done with some wire clips and other small parts. I have the email and everything at home, and when I get home I can post the images and such online here.
That would be excellent! Thanks!

·
Registered
486 Posts
VWGUY4EVER said:
I did it it on my 01 B5. Should takje about an hour...
Would you happen to have a write up and all the parts involved that you could share with us B5ers?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
If Jess (CRD99) could chip in. He has info of this mod.

Hids AUTO LEVELLING is another story,much much more complicated if not impossible (requiared by law though if you put in Hids 8) ). What we're talking about above is the MANUEL adjustment switch/motor.

·
Registered
631 Posts
good18t said:
I am going to help a bunch of CB5ers to get this switch but would like to find out more as to whether this switch can actually be used in a US spec B5. I don't want to ship out something and find out later that it is not useable. :oops:

Any comment regarding this is very much welcome. Thanks!
Hey Andy, how about this...send me a switch, I'll wire it up and let you know if it's compatible. If it works I'll pay you for it...if it doesn't I'll send it back to you and we can start over or try something else. I can even layout a wiring diagram and give it to you to provide with the switches. What do you think?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
15 Participants
JokerUNM
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing