Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing my research on which chip to get for my 2005 1.8T wagon. Of course, that gets me to thinking about a boost gage. And that in turn gets me thinking about what other gages I should have.

I do not like A-pillar gage pods. I do not like the gage pods that sit on top of the steering column and block the MFA, clock, odo or stock gages. Since I replaced the stock double-DIN stereo with an Eclipse single-DIN unit, I have the space to put a 3-gage DIN slot bracket.

But I'm not much of a car mechanic. And when it comes to the details, I'm lost. It looks like the best choices would be boost, oil pressure, and ...? On top of that, what kinds of gages? I see all different boost gages listed, some with different measurements, some with negative numbers (vacuum?), etc.

Then there's what brand of gage to get a perfect match with the stock interior? I want the backlit indigo gages like stock, not a front-lit gage or any different colors. Or... should I be looking for digital gage(s).

Lastly, installation. I'm a noob. I procrastinate like crazy, and have no idea how to install gages. Should I look for a shop to install this for me, or is it something a goob like me can actually do correctly without blowing up the car? When I wrench something, it's usually my back! :wrench:

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
boost, oil temp, oil pressure.

bosst gauge is easy to do but the oil one's require a little more savvyness.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Not sure if oil temp is really a requirement, I suppose it depends on where you live

Oil pressure OTOH, is most certainly a requirement for everyone with a turbo. You need to be able to notice pickup screen clogging before it chokes your engine.

·
Registered
322 Posts
1. Boost Gauge
2. Oil Pressure
3. ...when you find this out, let me know :D

As for brand, A lot of the name brands function fine. Personally, I use the 7 color Glowshift Gauges.....it came out to be MUCH cheaper( ~ 30 as opposed to the single color, might-not-match autometer series that was 70-100), AND the blue background matches perfectly with the stock gauges. When I add my oilpressure gauge soon (have a vacant 2nd slot on my a-pillar pod) I'll also go with a matching 7 color glowshift.

As for boost gauge, you'll want a Vacuum/Boost gauge; it's one that also goes "negative" as you called it. It reads "negative" pressure in inches of mercury, then goes into PSI for positive pressure. It let's you see exactly what the turbo does, AND you can use it as a readable Vacuum gauge to diagnose all sorts of engine problems.

thats my $ .02 at least...

hope this helps :D

~Epyon

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Boost and oil pressure are the two biggies. The best 'all-around' boost gauge is a -30 in/hg to 25psi boost, which pretty much covers the gamut for anything you'd use it for. Can show up a boost or a vacuum problem. 25psi was realistically possible (and usable) with my Talon, but on the Passat you could probably do 20 or even 15psi and never hit those numbers.

The third gauge? An Exhaust Gas Temp gauge is awesome for 'at the limit' tuning, but we don't have many options for that... Air/Fuel can be recorded by a VAG-COM logger, and wouldn't be too accurate anyway. I'd probably go fuel pressure...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'm not looking to have the dash of a racecar... or a boy-racer. Boost and oil pressure are great indicators to the health of our engines. The third gage should be the same, and not necessarily an "oh cool!" gage. How about a voltmeter to detect the health of the battery? Or are some of the other suggestions truly better health indicators.

Not too much input on installing them. Doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to car mechanic work.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
gauges depends on what are you doing/done with the car, heres what would be a must: boost/vacuum and oil pressure.
if you are doing any type of tuning you should also get EGT and wide band

·
Registered
322 Posts
speaking of Oil Pressure gauges...(and sorry for the quick :hijacked:)

is there already a Oil Pressure Sender on the engine? I would have to assume so....

If so, Is there a write-up somewhere that has which wires to tap into with an electric Oil Pressure gauge? I haven't had luck finding one yet.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Yeah on a 1.8T the boost is a definate must, there is a write up here for doing the boost gauge it's pretty simple you just have to order the kit that has the T joiner and the tubing you can find it on 42dd site. I have a dual gauge pod and I'm doing oil pressure. The other question as far as I know there is a sender already I beleive it's mounted where the oil filter screws on, the cooler?, but no there are no write ups yet as to how to put the sender in because I'm also waiting for one.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Go to this site. newsouthperformance.com

Exact color match to our gauges, and also they match the font that our gauges are written in, so they look factory. They are a little expensive compared to some "generic" any color gauges but in my opinion worth the money if you want the stock look.

·
Registered
122 Posts
1. Boost
2. Oil pressure
3. I went with volts

I got the 3 gauge panel set up from 42DD with the VDO gauges, red LED lighting, and the oil pressure relocating piece.

some pics of the set up in my jetta...all carried over to the passat:thumbup:

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Yeah on a 1.8T the boost is a definate must, there is a write up here for doing the boost gauge it's pretty simple you just have to order the kit that has the T joiner and the tubing you can find it on 42dd site. I have a dual gauge pod and I'm doing oil pressure. The other question as far as I know there is a sender already I beleive it's mounted where the oil filter screws on, the cooler?, but no there are no write ups yet as to how to put the sender in because I'm also waiting for one.
oil pressure gauge should be on top of the list. if the oil pressure goes too low, then you can blow the engine. a boost gauge is good as well, though the car will still run with a boost leak, or even a bad turbo (though not well).

to install the sender, simply remove the oil switch on the oil cooler, install the extension hose and t-block, and install the oil pressure switch and oil sender on the t-block. make sure to ground the t-block, and zip tie the block into place.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I always thought a pyrometer for the turbo temperature would be a cool thing to have. Might be too much of the boy racer thing though...

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
I always thought a pyrometer for the turbo temperature would be a cool thing to have. Might be too much of the boy racer thing though...
EGT is nice as well, but for most people with "normal" daily driving, i don't think it's that high on the list. the other thing is that you're gonna have to tap in order to install it.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, here's an interesting take on the subject:

I was speaking with the local GIAC dealer, since I'm still trying to figure out which chip to get. I was trying to ask all the usual questions, and I brought up the need of boost and oil pressure gages on a turbo'd car. Particularly one that has been chipped. His response was not what I was expecting.

In a nutshell, I was told I don't need gages. The car came from the factory without them because the car was designed not to need them. Even chipped, unless I'm tracking the car, drag racing from light to light, or otherwise abusing the engine, there's not much need. So, if I drive the car reasonably, and if I do proper maintenance such as faithful oil changes every 5K miles or less with GOOD full-synth oil, then no, I don't "need" gages.

That's not to say it's bad to have them. Maybe just not as necessary as I first thought. So now I'm not sure what to do. I don't really want the car to look all "boy-racy" to anyone who gets in it, and think maybe skipping gages isn't a bad idea. But then the nitpicky side of me says it's always a good idea to watch everything carefully. Bah! My brain's going to take a day off.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
it's not an absolute must to have gauges, but it is a good tuning and troubleshooting tool.

and 5k oci is ok under normal conditions. if you drive under extreme stop and go conditions or other harsh conditions, then you may need to adjust it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts