Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this spam trying to get me to give up my PayPal userid and password...the scary thing is that the website is really well done (it really does look like you're logging into your account), and when you roll your mouse over the link in the email (I use Yahoo mail), the link that shows up at the bottom of your browser window says "PayPal.com" or something very close to a real URL.

Unless I really do have a problem with my PayPal account. :suspicio:

Andy

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
These scams are sent by "phishers" and they try to pretend they are someone else and need to collect your account information. I see it all day long at work. These scams run from collecting your credit card numbers, bank accounts numbers, soc sec, internet account usernames and passwords, and the list goes on. The hard part about these is they most are hosted outside of the USA and its hard to crack down on them., but this doesn't mean that the website they are trying to use can't be blocked on major networks like EarthLink and AOL, so their customers can't be vicitims of this.

So if you get an email that wants you to put confidential information into a website, call your bank, ISP,etc and verify your account that way or log directly onto your banks or ISP website to check your account. Don't use the links given to you.

Kevin

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Re: Man, the Internet Con Artists Are Starting to Get Good..

AJChenMPH said:
Unless I really do have a problem with my PayPal account. :suspicio:

Andy
YOU ABSOLUTELY DO NOT! THIS IS A LONG TIME RUNNING SCAM!

Sorry to yell - ;) - however, if you look a PayPal's website it says there that they will NEVER ask you to provide personal information in an e-mail and I've seen that form e-mail (spam) you got - it asks for your social security number.

Be aware out there kids - lots of bad guys - there have been Circuit City, Best Buy, Chase Bank, VISA, etc. e-mail scams for a while now running around - NEVER, EVER, EVER trust a link provided in an e-mail. The scams work in different ways but may go something like this:

"Your account is about to expire. . .click here to update/provide your information"

"Someone charged merchandise on your VISA card, click here to verify with your SSN . . ." and then the link acts like it simply broken or timed out.

Don't just jack through e-mail folks - bottom line.

Cheers,

Sullie

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I'll do it for $40. Ha.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
They had one this summer saying that they were from best buy, and someone was charging your card, and that they needed your card # to verify! :mad: So I called best buy and they told me that someone started another e-scam! But the e-mail I got looked just like best buy, logo and everything! It's amazing! :suspicio: :thumbdow:

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I already know about all these scams -- it was the fact that it looked like you were just logging into your PayPal account, as opposed to just "confirming" your info by entering SS#, mother's maiden name, etc., that impressed me. I guess they'd then go in and simply email themselves funds out of your account.

Andy

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
i think you should put in fake info...if everybody did it would waste a lot of their time.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
view headers, guys!

that will always always show the fakes. look at the message-id, the sender, the from, the trace as it works its way thru the mail system.

its not hard, and some fields are not as easy to fake, so you CAN tell if its fake or not.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
linux-works said:
view headers, guys!

that will always always show the fakes. look at the message-id, the sender, the from, the trace as it works its way thru the mail system.

its not hard, and some fields are not as easy to fake, so you CAN tell if its fake or not.
You can also view the source code and see where it is posting your info to. Of course the domains are hosted in china..lol. Thanks to Internet Explorer and its vulerabilities, some of these scams were very good at looking like a legit url until it hits the @ in the url and redirects you to the server they are collecting your info on. These hacking and script kiddies are getting pretty smart... but not smart enough!

Kevin

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I got the same e-mail... looked very authentic, I actually did believe that it was from paypal for a few days (though I was too busy to act on it). I finally opened it up and took a look, and wondered why on earth paypal would ask me to submit all my information again if they upgraded their website :crazy:. These scams are soooo stupid :poke:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
13 Participants
VWPassatGLX155
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing