Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - A man who said he developed seizures and other medical problems after a doctor operated on the wrong side of his brain was awarded $850,000 in damages.

George Bidwell Jr., 36, was having surgery to remove an aneurysm in August 2001 when Dr. Arturo Camacho realized he was operating on the wrong side of Bidwell's brain. The doctor closed the surgical site and removed the aneurysm from the other side.

Bidwell said the mistake caused brain damage that led to seizures, memory problems, personality changes and an inability to hold a job for more than a year.

Camacho admitted that he operated on the wrong side of Bidwell's head but disputed the negative effects that Bidwell described.

A Ramsey County jury found Monday that Camacho, who is now living in Montana, was negligent. The award is for damages including wage loss and emotional distress.

A spokeswoman for United Hospital of St. Paul, where the surgery was performed, said Camacho's privileges to practice there have been revoked.

Keith Ekstrom, one of Bidwell's attorneys, said he was pleased with the jury's decision. An attorney for Camacho, David Hutchinson, said the surgeon made an ``unfortunate mistake.''

I was suprised that that's all he got since it was the brain he was operating on.

I wonder what he pays for his mal-practice insurance after this. :shock:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
right! people DO (and should) wrote 'good arm, good leg' etc on their parts before surgery. you hear too many stories of the wrong arm being cut off, etc.

scary shit!

$850k is nothing. I'd ask for $10M or so - since its most likely that you'll be quite disabled (in many ways) if someone farks with your brain in the wrong way ;(

not even a mil. and that's before uncle sam takes a bite out of it. its too little.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
wasnt it something like 20 million for spilled hot coffee at MCDonalds.

And a whopping 850k for operating on the wrong side of someones brain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts