Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 B5 with dealer floor mats that have the integrated buttons for attaching to the carpet. The problem is the mating buttons on the carpet are only available on the front. I have kids and the floor mats constantly get shoved up under the seat. It pisses me off to no end that they didn't put those in the rear where it seems like they are needed most. Can the carpet be lifted and these buttons installed? Any other ideas for a solution? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Dealers have the small snap buttons that screw into the carpeting for holding car mats. Watch out tho. The newer Passats have oval holes in the mats.

You probably need the round ones.

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
you could possibly try removing the kids' feet/legs. (sarcasm)

agreed with previous poster, try to locate the screw-in dowels from the dealer.

·
Registered
120 Posts
yup mine weren't fitted but were in the glove box when i got the car... had to spin them in with an electric screwdriver

·
Registered
406 Posts
You can get the retaining posts from your local dealer. Make sure when you screw them in try to get into the underpadding. Otherwise they could pull out next time you remove the mats

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I went to my local dealer a few months ago looking for these, I was told that VW stopped making them and pulled the part number out. Haven't looked since, but FYI.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I bought some a couple of years ago at the dealership. I'll dig up and post the part number when I get home.
I think this is it: 3D0-864-812-A-U A7D22 Knob

There are grey and black ones so the part # might be slightly different for what you want. (I think the last couple of letters)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, thank you so much for the helpful information. And thanks mr.bouton for digging up the part number.

I called the dealer and it turns out there are two types available. The first type (I think for which mr.bouton supplied the part number) requires the carpet be lifted for placement of a fastener to which the knob will attach. The second type simply screws in to the carpet from above. They have the second type in stock.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I should have noted that I got the screw in type and the total cost was less than 2 bucks for 4 of them. They're simple to install.

Though I have black mats, I bought grey posts because they were out of the black ones. Once I installed them and snapped on the mats, I just touched up the tops of post with a black Sharpie pen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts