Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

381 - 400 of 405 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
So here's a fun one-

Following the heat shield recall install, my 2000 Variant w/ 4-mo and 70k suddenly has an exhaust leak. Get it up on a lift, and low and behold there is a leak in the flex pipe RIGHT NEXT TO THE shield.

Now of course my 8/80 emissions warranty JUST expired in July of '08, so after the exhaust shop ID'ed the leak yesterday, I call my stealer. They deny that anything they did could have caused the damage on the pipe (the exhaust noise started immediately after they worked on it), but did say there was a chance they could have both sides (and cats) replaced under warranty since I've had the car in six times in the last three months for Emissions Workshop messages. 'Course they charged me $200 for a reflash to make the workshop messages go away, which worked... but then this. Got a call today "Nope, VWoA won't cover your exhaust components because your 8/80 expired in July." I used some choice verbage for the service manager and told him where he could shove the "$750 off a new VW" offer he made me in lieu of fixing my exhaust "situation".

Unreal. My short ownership of this vehicle has been an absolute nightmare- shame it drives so well. I'm thinking about calling the owner of a VW dealer I know pretty well, or calling some contacts I have at VWoA's Parts Distribution Center to see if there's something else they can swing for me. Ugh.

Anyone have their own insight, or thoughts, on this?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello all, I just wanted to share in my experience on this matter. Last November my fuel line sprung a leak in the engine compartment on my way home from work. How I did not catch fire escapes me but next morning I had the car towed to my indie where it sat for a week till the parts came in. $620.00 including the tow. When I received the recall letter from VW, I mailed in my receipt and I am happy to report that they reimbursed me for everything, including the tow. If anyone had the repair done, mail in them receipts to get compensated
SamDee

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
So here's a fun one-

Following the heat shield recall install, my 2000 Variant w/ 4-mo and 70k suddenly has an exhaust leak. Get it up on a lift, and low and behold there is a leak in the flex pipe RIGHT NEXT TO THE shield.

Now of course my 8/80 emissions warranty JUST expired in July of '08, so after the exhaust shop ID'ed the leak yesterday, I call my stealer. They deny that anything they did could have caused the damage on the pipe (the exhaust noise started immediately after they worked on it), but did say there was a chance they could have both sides (and cats) replaced under warranty since I've had the car in six times in the last three months for Emissions Workshop messages. 'Course they charged me $200 for a reflash to make the workshop messages go away, which worked... but then this. Got a call today "Nope, VWoA won't cover your exhaust components because your 8/80 expired in July." I used some choice verbage for the service manager and told him where he could shove the "$750 off a new VW" offer he made me in lieu of fixing my exhaust "situation".

Unreal. My short ownership of this vehicle has been an absolute nightmare- shame it drives so well. I'm thinking about calling the owner of a VW dealer I know pretty well, or calling some contacts I have at VWoA's Parts Distribution Center to see if there's something else they can swing for me. Ugh.

did you see my posts a few posts up .......i went back to the vw dealer twice after my heatsheild install and subsequent exhaust leak untill they fixed it right,they did on the the second attempt and been fine since,too bad you have a non-commited dealer,time for VWoA cust serv intervention

·
Registered
2 Posts
Call VW to let them know you own it now

Here is my problem. I got the car from my Dad, who got it in Germany and listed his address as God knows where (he is in the Air Force and has had, like, 6 addresses since he got the car new.) I can guarantee that he nor I will ever see that letter. what should I do?

When I bought my TDI B5.5 '05 GLS Passat Wagon last May, I discovered I was the 3rd owner and it only had 39K miles on it. I called VW of USA to let them know I own this car now. That way, if more recalls come out, they should notify me. However, I don't think I'm part of this recall since I've got a TDI not a gasser.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So here's a fun one-

Damn! I had to double check this post to see if I posted it. I did have an exhaust leak at both flex pipes, but ass that I am procrastinated, because it's such a PITA to coordinate repairs and time off from work. Then I got the Emissions Workshop crap, and MV inspection was right around the corner, so I took it to the stealership to see about the 8/80 warranty, and found that due to the in service date I missed the cutoff by 11 days :banghead::banghead::banghead:.

Luckily I remembered I financed an extended warranty into my car payments (for an extra $1100) which didn't cover the exhaust work, which consisted of my indy mechanic :thumbup: removing the cats from the car and sending them out to the muffler shop they use ($550), or the replacement of the instrument cluster, which also had a bunch of issues ($700), but did cover the tie rod/control arm replacement that I am sure many of you have also dealt with, a high pressure steering hose replacement, some gaskets, and don't remember the rest at the moment.

Anyway after $1600 out of my pocket and $3000 from the warranty, I thought, and foolishly so, I should be good for a while. :crazy: Not including the recall for the fuel sending units responsible for the faulty fuel level reading I was getting. So I got that done a few weeks ago.

Life is good...until...

...last week when I got to participate in this forum: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173334
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Why do I like VW's again?????:crazy:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
New heatshields,
New gas tank,
New fuel filter,
2008 Rabbit loaner for three days
$0.00 out of pocket (except $10.00 worth of gas, out of the kindness o' me heart)

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm getting ready to have my TB and water pump done as was finally going to get chipped at the same time. But after reading all this I think I get the recall done first just to be safe.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I just remembered about this recall. I've just been wrapped up with everything and didn't think about my car. I got the letter in the mail awhile ago, but misplaced it! Does that matter if I bring it there for the recall or does my VIN just have to match up? Because when i went to get a recall done in the past the lady at the counter asked me for the recall notice I received in the mail. For my car (2002 1.8T FWD) what is to be done? Its just the fuel line check and a software flash, correct? For those who just had that done, how long did it take? Perhaps I could get a nice loaner car if it takes long enough :D haha

·
Super Moderator
14,051 Posts
Your VIN just needs to match. No need to have the letter. Even if you have the letter they'll need to look up your VIN in VW's computer system to ensure it's covered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What's up with the Class Action Suit I just received (Dated October 2008)? Apparently, owners of 2000-2003 VW Passat's are suing VW to make them fix the gas lines and heat shield faults and to pay for related fixes that had already been done. Hasn't that already happened with the recall? Yes. So, what's the suit for?

·
Administrator
23,301 Posts
I'm getting ready to have my TB and water pump done as was finally going to get chipped at the same time. But after reading all this I think I get the recall done first just to be safe.
Cook VW does a good job.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Umm, just deny the flash. That's what I and a lot of others did.
Yeah...didnt know VW would change my ECU number. Never been a problem to reflash before...oh- by the way GIAC gave me a old card. Went from @ 20psi to @ 16-17psi- needless to say not happy at all!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes I am confused about the class action suit also....what is it all about? My heat shield was fixed too...no problem. I love my Passat V6 2002B5.5 Autoand am very happy with VW...am I in a minority? Are there those who are not happy?

·
Registered
90 Posts
We had our recall done yesterday on a 2003 1.8t Variant FWD 5-speed. Seemed to go well. No mention of flash on the bill.

We had an oil change done at the same time (due for 70k miles and there is a trip to CT tomorrow) and of course the service advisor wanted to change the brakes all around and also the cam tensioner seal. Of course, the cam tensioner seal was an issue I brought up repeatedly last year when it was all dirty and smelled up the car inside. Back then it was not a big deal and noting to worry about but now it is. Funny how this happens.

·
Registered
90 Posts
BTW, Pollen Filter Housing Seal Recall

The car is in Connecticut right now but before my wife left I checked the oil (since they have often overfilled it, but was OK this time, just at the top)

I also wanted to see what the pollen filter housing seal replacement was all about and noticed that the seal around the area that keeps the pollen filter and the battery under the black plastic cover (What is the name of that area again?) has been ripped by the "knowledgeable" technician.

And why does the VW dealer always seem to make things worse whenever they touch a car? Just amazing.

OK, needed to vent!

381 - 400 of 405 Posts