Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all EXPERTS...

I drove a Passat 1.8T 2002 sedan. Currently i have a problem with swifting gear from P to D. I was told that its a MAFS problem. Got one new purchased but not originally from Brosch. It look 95% alike but just a little different shape on the sensor tip.

i installed and i could not get my car to full rave and turbo boost. The max it boost is 0.2 bar. With the new MAFS (Made in Germany) i have a smooth swifting from P to D.

Can anyone tell me what happened?? Is it not the right sensor?? The part# (06A.906.461.A) are the same as my original sensor.

I have installed back the original MAFS and it went smooth with driving but just jerking during swifting from P to D.

Plz help me out here, i live in Brunei and not much knowledge i can find here.

It will be helpful if i can get a specific part# for this MAFS from here.

thanks expert...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As i said it did have the same part# with my original MAFS. Just the tip of the sensor inside look different. I wander if it is a 2.0 sensor or there are the same...

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you have the same part # than you should be good to go!

Having access to a VAG-COM would be a big help, as you could monitor what it sees for gallons / second at idle v.s. your previous MAF.

Are you sure that your old MAF was the cause of your problem, or was it in combination with something else? Blindly throwing parts at something, isn't always the best way to fix a problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the info from this forum + my agent. I don have a VAG-COM system but only agent have. When i install the new MAFS the swifting gear went very very smooth like brand new but just when i full on the accelerator it went like the engine is choking with black smoke too. When i try again with the old MAFS the engine ran fine just the swifting for the gear.

My logic tells me its not the right sensor but the part# are the same and it was made in Germany too. I wander if 2.0 MAFS and 1.8T MAFS are 95% look alike or they are the same.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
The Bosch MAF part number changes with the car's production serial number. From what I read when I bought mine, AWT and AWM cars up to number 100,000 use part 06A 906 461 L while serial number 100,001 and above part 06A 906 461 N

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I got the info from this forum + my agent. I don have a VAG-COM system but only agent have. When i install the new MAFS the swifting gear went very very smooth like brand new but just when i full on the accelerator it went like the engine is choking with black smoke too. When i try again with the old MAFS the engine ran fine just the swifting for the gear.

My logic tells me its not the right sensor but the part# are the same and it was made in Germany too. I wander if 2.0 MAFS and 1.8T MAFS are 95% look alike or they are the same.
did you replace just the sensor OR the sensor AND the maf tube...i.e. the housing? If it was a VW part (from VW) and they both have the same part number...then its the right maf. your problem lies elsewhere.

·
Registered
320 Posts
fyi, its grams per seconds...i.e. g/s
Yeah, :(

My mind was on something else when I finished that post.

did you replace just the sensor OR the sensor AND the maf tube...i.e. the housing? If it was a VW part (from VW) and they both have the same part number...then its the right maf. your problem lies elsewhere.
I am 100% with modifiedA4 on that point. I think your issue is a combination of multiple failures, or issues.

ROFL - good one, Matt. Did you do this on purpose, or did your brain just slip? :lol:
I am not sure what was going through my brain at that point in time! I think I either had to go to the bathroom, or was thinking about Glycol plumbing at work!

Ah well, I guess I need to proof read more often! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts