Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just cleaned my injectors on my NA 1.8 ADR using an ANSU injector cleaner.Does anyone have any experience or advice on using the ultrasonic bowl to just clean the two wire of the MAF.These could be submerged after unbolting (the torx tamperproof screws)thehot wires from the plastic moulding.The conventional advice seems to be use a cotton bud(Qtip)and Isoproyl alchohol on the wires carefully
The main reason for carry out all this is an emission test failure in the UK (the MOT)Both the fast idle and normal idle showed readings of approx 2.5% CO and Lambda of 0.93.So I concluded the system was overfuelling i.e. rich .
I don't have access to a fault code reader VAGCOM etc but have checked the sensor values of the air & Water temperature senders,they appear to be OK for resistance values.
Is there anything else I should check or do before I hand over the car to a dealer,for their diagnosis

TIA :(

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would be VERY reluctant to use a Qtip on the MAF sensor wires.

For years I had a Ford Ranger 4x4 with the 4.0L V6 - an engine notorious for MAF dirt buildup. So for preventive maintenance, I would clean the MAF wires each year using carb/intake cleaner. Just spray it on and let it dry completely. Sometimes I'd have to hit it twice - once to dissolve the gunk and a second time to blast it off. Make sure you get the type that says "safe for 02 sensors" on it.

A more descriptive write-up: http://www.therangerstation.com/CleanMAF.html

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i don't know if carb cleaner is good for the mafs. i used a no residue electronics cleaner (picked mine up at radio shack) to clean it. be careful, as radio shack also has a lubricating cleaner, which you don't wanna use.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do a Google search for "MAF cleaning" and see what you get. The majority of posts report using 02-safe carb cleaner with several others recommending isopropyl alcohol. I've done this for years and don't find any reports of people having trouble with it.

Non-residue electronics cleaner is probably a fine solution too. They're all basically doing the same thing - dissolving the baked-on stuff without reacting with the sensor wire material.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.