Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm entirely sick of the slop in my B5, that clunk drives me nuts. I dislike the stock bracket extra space, and wasn't entirely sure I wanted to use the 034 bracket and mount as it looks much smaller than the other available mounts.

So I modified a stock bracket to fit a bigger mount!

Need to figure out a way to shave down this hard snub just a tad before installing the second it stops raining!

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Bigger bracket needs a bigger mount (that will hopefully last longer). However, when that larger front snub does eventually wear out, the extra slop will own your CV axles. Then, while you're under the car installing another snub mount, you can swap both your axles as well.

Nope. CV axles can't tolerate a whole bunch of engine movement...for very long at least.

Good Luck with your project though. :beer:

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
I like it. I've day-dreamed about front mount designs but don't have the fabrication resources. What do you plan on using for the mount? Black Forest Industries has one that's super hard.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was considering the BFI cause the current APR one that came when I bought the car for 600 ( a steal for sure) is sure to be work by now and I've seen a lot of theirs crack. Mostly worried about how to trim it if necessary.

And slocar, this is just the bracket. I have an APR mount that currently fits snuggly into this new bracket. I meant to type "snub bracket" in the title but couldn't edit it after posting.

I've always hated the extra space around the mount, and under the assumption the rear mounts prevent horizontal movement, the only other thing I could think to do was try to eliminate the vertical movement entirely.

I think the 034 overall just looks slightly flimsy, from the bracket looking thin and no bends for added strength, and the actual mount looking very small.

Depending on the pricing of the stock brackets, fabrication was rather easy. I could make a few more pretty quickly. I've seen other peoples horrible attempts, from PCV to JB Welding pieces in around the snub, I didn't want to cut any corners.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
The original mount has no vertical free play, only the designed amount of flex in the mount, and automatically adjusts to horizontal movement.
I suggest you cut your losses and throw that mount in the bin before wasting more time and money on something that can't work well.
You have no provision for horizontal alignment or normal movement, this will reduce the life of the transmission mounts and cause vibration.
If your basic design was better than the more complex original design, don't you think that VW would have used it.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
The goal of the original VW design and the goal of this modified version are not the same. The VW design limits engine pitch movement, but with a cushy rubber bushing that isolates engine vibration from being conducted to the chassis. That's perfect for most people driving to get groceries. The down-side of that design is that it allows too much pitch movement when used in a performance application. You get drive-train wind-up and wheel hop. On/Off throttle inputs like in road racing or autocross are not crisp or immediate.

In a setup like I have on my car, the engine and trans mounts are upgraded to stronger/stiffer units and a snub like this compliments the rigidity of those other 4. The snub on our longitudinal cars does the same job as the "dog bone" mount on the transverse cars. Performance minded transverse guys usually upgrade the dog bone mount for the exact same reason. It's super common. Yes, increased vibration is felt in the cabin but that's the tradeoff made to gain a locked down drive-line.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your design is spot on and will work great for it's intended purpose. Your engine is continuously trying to pitch either up or down you have in essence cancelled or limited that pitch moment. Now as for centerline yaw of the motor and the gentleman above stating there needed to be horizontal movement. I'm not buying this, your engine, transmission package should want to pitch and roll due to gyroscopic moments and torsional forces but as for wanting to yaw left to right lets just say I need more proof on that subject. Good luck and I hope everything works out.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's easy enough to swap out, cost me nothing but some free time over the weekend with parts I already had laying around, just seeing how it works out.

I have a friend with a Bridgeport who's said stop by and we can try a totally custom fabrication or two, could always try to leave room for horizontal movement but fill the space above and below to see how it works.

Just experimenting lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts