Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told about this awesome site. You can download the cad program, design a part and have them machine it to your specifications. Great for something that you must have and cant find. I was told that someone make a caliper carrier and the price to machine it was only $50. I say not bad for a one off part.
http://www.emachineshop.com/

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Include set up .. shipping .. material?

I can't even get that kind of price on campus at our Machining and Technical Services. Then again.. they are ars'es.

Easy one to do would be a heat shield for the turbo...oh and I always wanted brushed aluminum sills for the doors and hatch. Uhmmmm? Reverse engineer stuff.

Man Jeff, homemade VAGCOMs and maybe some parts.. make a whole new car if you had the money.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i have too many ideas. i started thinkin how i could make pistons so that i could make my compression ration lower to put a big turbo on my car.

·
Registered
598 Posts
hockey345 said:
i wonder how much a custom dash would be to hold a 7" screen, instead of using bondo to hold the screen

that would be crazy! but if your doing the whole dask its gonna be hard! i don't think you would be able to make a whole dash, unless you did a bunch of piece's, and alot of time on your part! g/l luck if you do it! and get some pics!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
design it, they will tell you when u send the cad file how much it will cost. WE ALL WANT TO KNOW

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Ooh. This sounds neat... So many possibilities....

·
Registered
230 Posts
i downloaded the software and tried it out. i am familiar with other CAD software like Pro-E and Solidworks. this software is fairly simple. after trying out a few designs i find that there prices are slightly high.

a 2mm thick aluminum (6061) disk with four holes in it costs up to $80 bucks!

when i have some more time i will try some more complex designs and let u all know how the prices go.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Hmmm... Maybe I'm not sure how to fully use that program, but it seems to be giving me a hard time. I am entering in a part that I already have designed and have built many times myself and it won't let me get the thickness I need/want. I just wanted to see how well I have been doing compaired to what they offer. At this point I think I'll stick to what I'm doing. :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
230 Posts
valvecovergasket said:
TiCega306 said:
i downloaded the software and tried it out. i am familiar with other CAD software like Pro-E and Solidworks. this software is fairly simple. .
simple as in easy to use, or simple as in it isnt able to produce as complex parts as proe or catia or solidworks or somethin
a little bit of both. it cannot generate as complex models as Pro-E and the rest however it is not meant for u to actually engineer parts on. instead i think they just provided enough for u to acurrately convey what u need. in terms of simplicity of use, it can get a little frustrating trying to get exactly what u want. like part thickness and so on. the program tries very hard to prevent mistakes in design that sometimes in gets in the way (but i guess its safer for them that way)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Chas said:
Hmmm... Maybe I'm not sure how to fully use that program, but it seems to be giving me a hard time. I am entering in a part that I already have designed and have built many times myself and it won't let me get the thickness I need/want. I just wanted to see how well I have been doing compaired to what they offer. At this point I think I'll stick to what I'm doing. :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:
in general i think its a really good idea however i must agree with you.... stick to what works!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Yeah, I won't be reinventing the wheel, errrr... Lower Tie Bar anytime soon. I like what I've been doing and have spent too much time designing it already.

My biggest concern was for the ownership of the pieces they manufacture for you. I read through the fine print very closely before even downloading the program to see that just because they produce a part for you that they don't somehow get to "own" the idea of the part. What's mine is mine and no one elses. I've worked really hard on these products so I've been working on patenting my parts lately. :suspicio: :suspicio: :nervous: :nervous:

·
Registered
761 Posts
TiCega306 said:
valvecovergasket said:
TiCega306 said:
i downloaded the software and tried it out. i am familiar with other CAD software like Pro-E and Solidworks. this software is fairly simple. .
simple as in easy to use, or simple as in it isnt able to produce as complex parts as proe or catia or solidworks or somethin
a little bit of both. it cannot generate as complex models as Pro-E and the rest however it is not meant for u to actually engineer parts on. instead i think they just provided enough for u to acurrately convey what u need. in terms of simplicity of use, it can get a little frustrating trying to get exactly what u want. like part thickness and so on. the program tries very hard to prevent mistakes in design that sometimes in gets in the way (but i guess its safer for them that way)
maybe someone could try downloading proe off kazaa and sending them a proe file thats been converted :)

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
If you can find pro-e on kazaa, great... but you gotta talk to me if you want to know how to get thru the licensing (there is a secret).

I got tons of pro-e parts on my machine, but all are designed for injection molding, not really appropriate for machining... too many complex surfaces.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just an idea. Could somebody design a Phaeton-like pedals for manual B5.5?
I know that TT gas pedal and Phaeton brake pedal (automatic) will fit our Passats, but there is no clutch and dead pedal. Then we could try a GB on this or at least order a bunch of them to reduce cost.

Finally we could start creating a design library to share for everybody on this forum.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
All the limitations of the software are based on the fact that they are weeding out all the non engineers sending them parts that are not manufacturable. You need to determine the machine schedule in order to get the proper raw material... it's anything but a dynamic program.

Also, it will only import 2-d dxf, so it doesn't make things much easier for say a caliper carrier.

If someone needs some parts modeled, I'd be more than happy to do it for them... just scan in your bar-napkin drawings, and I'll knock them off... just give me the rough's and the right dimensions.

·
Registered
181 Posts
pass-variant said:
If you can find pro-e on kazaa, great... but you gotta talk to me if you want to know how to get thru the licensing (there is a secret).

I got tons of pro-e parts on my machine, but all are designed for injection molding, not really appropriate for machining... too many complex surfaces.
If you find it on kazaa, why would people need your help in obtaining a license? Isn't that the whole point of kazaa? Hell if what you wanted was the program, you can get the disc for free from ptc or download it from them. You can install it without any real help. THEN they would need your help, right? Besides, the licensing is no big secret either.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
13 Participants
valvecovergasket
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing