Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK
So my girlfriend doesnt have a car and walks to campus (10min walk from her place) everyday. Im fine with it during the day but she ends up walking home at night a lot of the time. Granted I do live in Oregon and my school OSU is a very safe school but nevertheless things do happen to girls...

We have a program called saferide that will pick up girl students (we also have another program that will pick up guys but there is segregation between services because of women not wanting to ride with guys etc... Which I totally understand)

So she doesnt like to use saferide at night that will take her home from campus. I understand that she does just live 10 mins off campus but if I cant change her ways at least I can protect her.

So the topic of debate is what type of pepper spray or mace is best? It needs to be in a small container (like a key chain model). Suggestions, experiences.... thanks

P.S I try to pick her up and take her home as much as I can.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
First things first: check with the local police department on permits and whatnot. For example, in Massachusetts, you have to get a firearms ID card (which is different from a concealed weapons permit) in order to carry pepper spray or Mace.

The other thing is that they have these new "triple action" sprays that combine CN gas and pepper spray into one, along with a UV dye for identification purposes. After you clear the legal stuff, get her one of those. And see if you can get a trainer as well, have her practice pulling it out of her bag or whatever and spraying you. Just make sure it's the practice unit she uses on you. ;)

Andy

·
Registered
132 Posts
Fox Labs makes the best pepper spray on the market. Very few people do not react to it. I do not work for them, or get any kickbacks. Their stuff just works. All kinds and size despensers are available.

http://www.foxlabs.com/

Mace is not really that effective as it takes time for it to work and that time can be used to an attacker's advantage. Even then, unless it is applied properly, it is mostly ineffective.

SOME nationalities and individuals are mostly immune to the effects of pepperspray, even very strong formulas. While fairly rare, it can happen.

If you plan to use pepperspray, at the very least, get some 'inert' sprays to practice with. Fox Labs has them. Get to know the range, how it works, and even practice spraying your friends (with safety goggles of course)

Get training. There are classes to teach proper use. Proper use is actually fired from a few inches in front of your chest with your free arm providing some blocking or defense, not at arm's length. A good spray should reach 12-15 feet. Beware of the ones that can't do this as it allows attackers to get too close.

Just because the spray is non-lethal does not mean you can not be arrested for improper use. Knowing when self-defense is allowed and when it is not is important as well.

Be aware that various states control peperspray and it is absolutely illegal on commercial aircraft - even in checked luggage. In some states you can buy it in the supermarket (makes a great chilli spice) and in others you need a firearms license (like Massachusetts) Other states prohibit defensive sprays on school grounds, so check locally. I even have heard of some manicipalities that ban the sale, use, and carry within city limits.

I would also recommend a class in "model Mugging" or some other hand to hand defensive training. And most important, learn to become aware of your surroundings. Being able to avoid trouble is always better than having to get out of it.

A good primer on Self Defense is Jeff Cooper's Book "Principles of Personal Defense" A nice 44 page of the basics reguarding the mindset you need to survive.

A far more detailed and graphic study of the methods of Self Defense and the animals that are out there you may need to defend from can be found in Massad Ayoob's book "The Truth About Self Protection"

For a female view of the topic, Paxton Quigley, a strong gun control advocate until she was personally faced with violent crime tells her tale of discovery in "Armed and Female"

I know this is a lot of overload for your question. I just wanted to stress a few points... 1) Most people don't really think much about their own safety - leaving it to the "police who are never around when you need them" and 2) getting a 'device' does not make you safe any more than buying a book and sticking on the shelf makes you smart.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I'm sorry I don't know which is better, but sounds like the combo units would be. Of course, if she was willing I would still get one of these:

·
Registered
811 Posts
gig103 said:
I'm sorry I don't know which is better, but sounds like the combo units would be. Of course, if she was willing I would still get one of these:
I would recommend the Lady Smith revolver. Specially designed for women.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow thanks for the info... Much appreciated!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts