Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes it's another oil thread (sorry). I've read a lot of the others, and there always seems to be a lot of fretfulness over getting a "0Wxx" or a "5Wxx" and is it a 30 or 40 or 50. Always living in temperate states (TX, CA, HI), I've pretty much stuck to good old 10W30; clinging perhaps to the brouhaha a few years ago over the higher spread between numbers and polymer additives failing (some/many of you may not remember that.. :)).

Of course, I use synthetic now and all that stuff may be academic, but I still stick to the 10W30 and the lowest spread between numbers (other than a single vis). It's also M1's best seller (not that that's necessarily a testament to wisdom). If I moved up north, then I'd probably use 5W in the winter time. Also, the M1 10W30 gets a "energy efficient" rating, with special friction fighting additives, for whatever that's worth (little better gas mileage I suppose). Anyway, for fellow posters who live below the Mason Dixon, I think it's a good choice for year round use (unless you live in Desert Valley or AZ.. :)).

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Where do you buy your M1? How much per bottle/case?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just buy it at one of the local auto supplies - around $4.70 a quart. I don't drive as much as before (retired), so I'm looking at around a one year drain interval, and don't care about searching for a better deal on a case or so.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
pete1 said:
Where do you buy your M1? How much per bottle/case?
Walmart has a 5 quart jug for like $19.99 or about $4.00/quart. Buy it individually, they want about $4.89/quart. Went by Costco today and saw a 6/1 quart box for $23.34 or about $3.89/quart.

Hey... since this is about oil... got a question for the oil experts out there. Are there any harm to switching back and forth between using synthetic and non-synthetic oil?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts