Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car was feeling fine on the highway the last two days, then this morning as accelerating onto the highway onramp I pop a CEL, and this one was flashing.

Pull over, and connect the OBDII reader. Principle code is the misfire. Two addition codes I didn't write down popped up. Cleared the codes and drove without any additional CELs.

Clear the problem is happening when I'm accelerating aggressively. I'm pretty sure based upon comments it's either the spark plugs or coil packs. Have spark plugs coming ($40 for a set of four) but will have my indy look at the coil packs. It's too damn cold to mess with the B5 and I don't have a garage or much in the way of tools.

Weird, I have been driving on surface streets for about 10 minutes before hitting the highway. Then trouble...

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,753 Posts
I bet it's a coil pack. Mine went on my first aggressive acceleration of the day after driving 24 miles. Running on 3 cylinders uphill with traffic behind you is not fun. Luckily, I was 1/2 a mile from work and parked it.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bet it's a coil pack. Mine went on my first aggressive acceleration of the day after driving 24 miles. Running on 3 cylinders uphill with traffic behind you is not fun. Luckily, I was 1/2 a mile from work and parked it.

OK. Will call the dealership and find out what they cost.

May also ask our parts guy on the forum.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,753 Posts
wait, what engine code?

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
If you're getting excessive misfires, you'll have alot of unburnt fuel passing through to the CAT and the O2 sensors. Too much of this will trigger a flashing CEL (You car telling you it's going to burn up the CAT).

When are those plugs scheduled to arrive? I have the deep plug socket, ratchet, gap tool, anti-seize, torque wrench. It's a quick enough job to do in 34º weather as long as you wear thermals.

Swapping coil pack placements is also simple and will confirm the problem resides in the coil and not elsewhere. The ICM could also cause a single cylinder to misfire. The ICM is four solid-state switches in one module. Any one (or several) of those switches can go bad. The ICM is easy to access. It's on top of the air box.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're getting excessive misfires, you'll have alot of unburnt fuel passing through to the CAT and the O2 sensors. Too much of this will trigger a flashing CEL (You car telling you it's going to burn up the CAT).

When are those plugs scheduled to arrive? I have the deep plug socket, ratchet, gap tool, anti-seize, torque wrench. It's a quick enough job to do in 34º weather as long as you wear thermals.

Swapping coil pack placements is also simple and will confirm the problem resides in the coil and not elsewhere. The ICM could also cause a single cylinder to misfire. The ICM is four solid-state switches in one module. Any one (or several) of those switches can go bad. The ICM is easy to access. It's on top of the air box.

Thanks, Steve. May look you up sooner than later. Doing limited driving these days, only a drive up and down the Edens 2x-3x/week.

Ordered the plugs but they haven't shipped yet. May take a week or 10 days to get here. The deal was too good to pass up.

I'm waiting on Robert from Riverside VW (fixmy59bug) to get me part numbers for a replacement coil pack. I'll head over to the local Autobarn and get two packs for replacement and head to my indy this weekend. If swapping out the coil pack does not eliminate the current problems I'll look you up for help with swapping out the spark plugs within a week.

Appreciate the help!

Sorry, it was rush hour and I didn't write down the codes. One was an EVAP code, I forgot the other but it was similar. The principle on was a cylinder 3 misfire. I cleared and re-started to see if it was a persistent problem, but no CEL for the rest of the drive.

Feels reasonably powerful and and mileage isn't particularly low. But will keep in mind exhaust may have too much fuel going out, and that is a problem if it ignites...

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,753 Posts
Steve, Hsmauberly has a 2001. It does not have an ICM. Only 98-99 1.8Ts have ICMs.

Hsmauberly, if you have a ratchet, 6" extension and a plug socket, you canreplace the plugs in less than 15 minutes.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve, Hsmauberly has a 2001. It does not have an ICM. Only 98-99 1.8Ts have ICMs.

Hsmauberly, if you have a ratchet, 6" extension and a plug socket, you canreplace the plugs in less than 15 minutes.

Only a basic socket set at my end. No extension. Steve is not too far off and I'll buy him a beer for his help. Main issue is the spark plugs are bought are being shipped so I'm waiting on them. No word from the seller that they have shipped, yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts