Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This problem seems to have gotten worse over time. Its an 02 Passat V6. For some reason the engine RPM's will lug down to about 1200 before it'll kick down to the next gear. You keep stepping on the gas stepping on the gas then it'll kick down to the lower gear and take right off. If you just stomp on the gas it'll kick right down but if you're trying to be smooth and maintain speed it'll lug right down and you have to push the gas pedal pretty far before it'll actually kick down. Any clues?

·
Registered
27,565 Posts
You can recode the trans to sport mode and it will kick down with less throttle input. I just use tiptronic, but I keep my rpm low most of the time for economy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can recode the trans to sport mode and it will kick down with less throttle input. I just use tiptronic, but I keep my rpm low most of the time for economy.
So is that a normal occurance on these cars or is mine just messed up?
Is recoding something the dealer would have to do?

·
Registered
27,565 Posts
So is that a normal occurance on these cars or is mine just messed up?
Is recoding something the dealer would have to do?
It's not normal to change over time. The trans does adapt to your driving style and easy driving makes for slow shifts. Anyone with a vag-com can recode the trans to sport mode. I doubt the dealer would do it.

I have not paid much attention to where my car shifts as I keep in in Tip mode most of the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts