Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Lug Nuts

Tags
lug nuts
2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  RL331 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a set of 18" BBS RX chrome wheels and had them installed with the factory lug nuts because none were included with the wheels I got. Do I need to purchase longer threaded lug nuts for the 18" wheels? Where is a good place to buy them? The wheels mounted with the factory lugs fine but I want to make sure they have the proper bolts holding them in place. How do I find out which size nuts I need? The nuts I have now appear to fit, but I am worried the thread isnt deep enough to safely hold the rim over a prolonged period of time. Sorry for all the questiosn but i'm a little lost when it comes to lug nuts. Thanks -Tim

#2 ·
Wheel bolt (not lug nuts) length has nothing to do with the size of wheels and neither does offset. If you put spacers on your wheels, then you would need longer bolts. Typically, with BBS you will be fine if it was designed for the car.

#3 ·
Thanks RL331. I was worried I might have some major issues down the road if the bolts wernt long enough. The factory OEM lug nuts are black and not very attractive on a chrome wheel, I noticed that on eBay you can find many chrome lug sets relatively cheap. Do you know what lug size our cars take [1998 B5 v6 tiptronic]? Thanks again for the speedy information!

#4 ·
They are not lug nuts - they are wheel bolts AND VW wheels have a special ball type head - when you order these things, you have to go to ECS tuning or apecialty places like that to get the right ones that fit - sorry I can't tell you the legth at the moment.

#5 ·
Are you positive it doesnt matter? When I had my previous set of 18" BBS RX silver wheels it came with special bolts/lugs and when I installed them they worked fine... I then used the same bolts/lugs on my Audi S4 wheels and the bolts were so long on that wheel it wouldnt let the wheel spin... I put my factory bolts/lugs back on and the S4 wheels worked... so that's how I got the idea that different wheels need different bolts/nuts/whatever. ill check out ECS tuning, hopefully they dont charge an arm and a leg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.