1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
6th Grade
14,917 Posts
I would remove the cylinder from the door completely and remove the painted body color trim from the cylinder also.

When this is done, I'd get myself a nice new can of brake parts cleaner and hose the hell out of it through the keyhole and everywhere else there is an opening in the housing. Half a can of brake cleaner ought to be plenty to remove whatever crud is in there.

I don't like using the HHS stuff on parts like this because while it penetrates into parts like this beautifully, it sets up pretty thick (great for hinges, not for lock cylinders) and also has lots of adhesiveness so dirt and grit gets in it very fast....dirt and grit being bad in combination with fine mechanisms like a lock cylinder.

There was a product I used to be able to get simply called Dry Lube, and I think it had PTFE in it or something, or maybe silicone. Anyway, it went on wet by aresol style spray, and when it dried it made metal really slick but there was basically zero residue, so the parts stayed clean pretty much forever.

I looked around and while I can't remember who made the product I was using, Wynn's makes something called Dry Lube and I'm sure it would work fine. There are also several similarly-named products that are used on motorcylce chains for the same reason I like them; they don't pick up dirt and crap but still lubricate just fine.

If you can't find the Wynn's, I'd drive over to a motorcycle shop or just call them on the phone and see if the have something comparable and use it, AFTER the cylinder has been thoroughly cleaned.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I like to use graphite for locks, largely because it was a recommendation from a locksmith friend, and it has proven itself to work well for me. The down side is that it gets on the key the first few times you use it after applying the graphite, and that stuff likes to stick to clothes pretty well. I suppose any lube will do the same thing, though!

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
I like to use graphite for locks, largely because it was a recommendation from a locksmith friend, and it has proven itself to work well for me. The down side is that it gets on the key the first few times you use it after applying the graphite, and that stuff likes to stick to clothes pretty well. I suppose any lube will do the same thing, though!
One thing graphite can't do is soak into the metal. Oil soaks into the first few atomic layers of whatever metal you put it on, which is why it's such an outstanding metal-on-metal lubricant. Even when the surface is dry, there's still lubrication.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts