Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend who has a modded '94 Accord says that if I lower my 2002 Passat GLS by 1.5" without also changing the shocks, the car will bounce around a lot more because of spring rates not matching the shocks/struts or something like that. I think he forgot though that his '94 Accord's stock suspension isn't as cushiony as the B5.5's in the first place, so...
(I just read a similar past thread http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69346&highlight=lower*)

Will my Passat bounce a LOT more if I lower it 1.5" with Neuspeed Sport while keeping the rest of the stock suspension? What about 1.2" with Eibach or even 0.75" Neuspeed SofSport without compromising too much of that smooth stock ride? I'm not really lowering for the handling, I'm just doing it because it looks nicer lowered. I guess this mean I'm rice, right? There, I said it.

I plan to get 17" wheels also. Again, just for rice. Not race. By the way, how much can I expect my original shocks to last anyway? I don't ever go off-road, just the occasional pothole.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
How many miles are on the car? I'd say that you can do the springs w/out the shocks if you like but down the road and not to much further down the road the stock shocks will become bouncy. I have 18's on my ride and that switch from the 15's was major IMO...w/the suspension and 18's the ride is VERY firm. I set my adjustable shocks to as firm as could be so it was my decision. I'll say this to conclude...If you have the money to buy the springs and shocks do it now so you won't have to deal w/ the handling deteriorating over time and then have to install the shocks.
Here is my car w/Vogtland springs and Koni Sport adjustables:

BTW my drop is about 2.5"
Good luck w/ what you decide to do and most definetly post some pics when it is done 8)

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
You will bounce most likely and you will have to do the whole install all over again and another alignment on top of that! So thats money wasted!
Get both done at same time and save yourself some money and time.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all! Man, this is like the best forum ever. Praise to Jesusalabuddha for giving me this gift of website discovery
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :b5:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
TX-B5.5
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing