Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am looking for a set of springs for lowering my B5.5. I found a set of Neuspeed Sport Springs for my vehicle which will lower it around 1.5inches which is exactly what I want. My question is that if its ok to just purchase the springs and use them instead of buying an entire lowering kit. I am new to this so if my questions are ignorant don't mind. Also doing this will it have any long term detrimental effects to the vehicle.

Wood

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
You can do that but it just lessens the life of your stock shocks. Welcome to the club :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
This question has been asked over and over again. Most people reccomend buying sport springs with new shocks, because A) You'll eventually want them both anyway and it costs money to install them and B) You reduce the life of the stock shocks using stiffer springs.

What I ended up doing was buying what Neuspeed calls SofSports. They lower the car a bit less (great for where I live heh) and are fairly compatable with stock shocks, at least for 60-80k miles (at which point I'll hopefully have enough money for aftermarket ones haha). From what I understand, it's not like putting aftermarket springs will destroy your shocks in a week, it's simply that their life will be reduced over a longer period of time. If you really wanna buy the sport springs, go ahead, just be prepared to buy more shocks maybe 50k miles from now.

You should check out S_Klass's group buy on the Neuspeed springs. I believe Neuspeed sells them for about $267 plus shipping. The group buy will cost you $155, shipping included!!! It's an incredible deal, and it's how I got my springs. S_Klass has been very dependable and everything worked out great. They showed up a few days ago. Check it out: http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65564

·
Registered
100 Posts
Quickie question... not to hijack this thread:

I've been contemplating coil overs vs eibach prosystem (springs and dampers). Cost wise I would love to go with the latter but I've been hearing of this "reversed rake" look that is a side effect of the eibach system. By the way, I have a 2000 V6. I guess what my question really is - if it is the reversed rake case then what's the fix? Can't really justify the cost of the coil overs. tia.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts