Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my b5.5 is lowered round 1.5-1.7'' that I run 17''s with summer tires on, but because I moved to buffalo, which is a heavy snow area now, I have to switch back to my OEM 15'' tires in the winter. Is that going to be a problem? My friends told me my car will to too low to the ground on 15''s and won't be able to move around in the snow. Would a better option be moving on to all season tires? I'm also incredibly poor cause I'm in med school right now...

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The wheels and tires should still be the same overall diameter. Which means the only difference would be your style of tire (next time you buy tires for the 15's you might want to look at a really good winter tire). The height will be the same as with the summer tires, so unless you want to change your suspension seasonally then you are stuck with the same height.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hqu13 said:
Hey guys, my b5.5 is lowered round 1.5-1.7'' that I run 17''s with summer tires on, but because I moved to buffalo, which is a heavy snow area now, I have to switch back to my OEM 15'' tires in the winter. Is that going to be a problem? My friends told me my car will to too low to the ground on 15''s and won't be able to move around in the snow. Would a better option be moving on to all season tires? I'm also incredibly poor cause I'm in med school right now...
I went to school in rochester NY, with a super lowered GTI. In the winter I ran the car with the stock wheels with snow tires. That's the best thing to do in that area. Even with all season tires, you'll get stuck in the snow there just too much snow. With snow tires I never got stucked.

Once I try to go up this small little hill with the summer tires couldn't even make it up with a dusting of snow. Next day got snow tires for my old rims and never had a problem at all even with 20 plus inch of snow out there. There pretty cheap at sears at most a set will cost you 300 bucks. Well worth it in my mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.