Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got around to some suspension mods. Was not happy with the dive/squat of the car stock. Some before pics:

Since I live in New York City I did not want to go drastic - installed H&R OE springs and Bilstein Sports. I figure about a 1 inch drop all around which is good. Sorry for the dirty car pics...

Not taking any chances....Thor installed also.

Picking up my refinished Madras this weekend; I'll get some pics of those on soon (as well as get to the damn car wash) :)

·
rockin the nasty azz exhaust tips yo!!
1,526 Posts
damn... 6 inch clearance. got ourselves a risk take :)

jk, but really your roads must be absolute crap. What size are the new wheels going to be?

·
Registered
907 Posts
I see plenty of room to go lower, but to each their own.

NYC streets = MTL streets
nothing short of a battlefield

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Nice improvement. And don't worry, we like 'em dirty also!

I would really like to see pictures with the Madras wheels.

·
wants you to raise up your car.
4,329 Posts
God I can't see how people can be satisfied with a 1 inch drop. Just seems crazy to me.

Not bashing on you or anything OP, I just don't see much of a difference. Jealous of the thor though! Still need to get one....my subframe isn't black anymore.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
God I can't see how people can be satisfied with a 1 inch drop. Just seems crazy to me.

Not bashing on you or anything OP, I just don't see much of a difference. Jealous of the thor though! Still need to get one....my subframe isn't black anymore.
I see your point; I guess it's my old age. Trying to maintain a nice comfortable ride. Even the roads outside NYC where I drive are pretty bad (suburban New York and Northern New Jersey). I did not want to go through the expense of coil overs either. Plus I drive my parents around in this car on occasion.

I have 3 other cars - a 1985 Toyota Supra and two 1979 Pontiac Trans Ams - all are lowered with stiffer suspensions than factory so I'm not totally a soft guy ;)

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Coming from a guy who has gone through 4 different suspensions, if ANYTHING goes wrong from shock perspective, I definitely recommend coils, so you CAN go lower when you want to. Notice I said WHEN you want to.

You will want too.

·
WF16 Champion and Argumentative Wanker
9,018 Posts
^^Scott is right. I started with the moderate drop (liked it) then moved to coils #1 (loved the low, hated the ride) and then to coils #2 (love the drop, like the ride) and I'll prolly get another set of coils because at a very low height, suspension dies quickly.

I know NYC (I work there every so often) and Northern Jersey (headed there tomorrow morning) and I COMPLETELY understand why you're at the height you are. The Madras will look great and the springs should handle better than stock.

As for the Thor, you need it where you are (not excited to bottom out every 5 seconds on my trip to Freeport, Long Island tomorrow).

Don't worry about the dirty car, it's winter, it happens.:thumbup:

·
Registered
26,585 Posts
1" is a great drop for those roads (grew up in NJ). I keep mine between 1-1.5" and never worry about bad roads, but I do drive back country dirt roads in National Parks. Many posted with "High Clearance/4 wheel drive vehicles only" signs at the entry. Never had an issue until I hit a flooded creek bed in Utah. Turned around on that one :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey ok just wanted to update the thread now that I have the Madras wheels on the car. I know the bolts holding the two wheel pieces together should be a different color but the wheels would not come apart; had to paint them all one color. Tires are 225/45/17 Goodear Eagle GT.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what did the springs and shocks run you, I'm hating my wheel-gap with my 17's and yours look like the fit perfect now, and how is the ride compare before/after?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts