Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only drive the car intermittently now, since my son has it.

Backstory: got one new front tire in December due to a puncture, and they also replaced a rear hub they trashed while trying to “pit stop” the wheels on.

I drive the car this week and notice a considerable wobble in the car, felt through the steering wheel, most Noticeable between 30 to 40 mph.

Today I jack up the car in neutral, and spin each front wheel looking for anything obvious. The older tire could be slightly out of round, but I also noticed some side to side play on the other wheel when I pull at 3 and 9 o’clock. 1/4” max at the outer diameter, if I had to give a number, but basically none on the driver’s side.

The play looks like it could be a worn inner tie rod joint. So the question is, do you think it’s more likely the old tire or the sloppy tie rod joint that would cause a vibration like this?

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
The tire would be more likely. Tie rods tend to make the car wander, but a bad ball joint or bushing (tie rod or control arm) can cause a wobble in the wheel too.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I’m going to replace the tie rod anyway since they’re fairly cheap. I’ll do that first before the tire shop so will know whether it had any impact on the wobble.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replaced the tie rod, which was floppy in both inner and outer joints. Tightened up steering but no real impact on wobble. Had the tires balanced, which helped, but hasn’t eliminated it entirely.

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Did the check the wheels for runout? I would also check the hubs just in case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts